Good protective shield/film that is anti-glare and cuts down finger prints?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by DaneGuy, May 19, 2010.

1. DaneGuy macrumors 6502

I have my pad in a MacAlly Book Stand which works great. The thing I don't like is all the darn finger prints and the glare on the naked screen. Is there a good screen protector that gives me no glare and less fingerprints?

Thanks!

2. phil75 macrumors newbie

You might want to try Apple iPad ClearTouch Anti-Glare Screen Protector. They say it's fingerprint-free.

3. w4rmk macrumors regular

w4rmk

4. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Yep, but it's oh so worth it. I've had them on every iPhone I've had and my iPad AG protector gets delivered today, depending on when the mail arrives (but I'm probably just going to the post office when they open to pick it up right away ;))

6. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I went to PowerSupport's local store in Burbank, CA today and had them slap on an anti-glare film. I really like it and they did a killer job putting it on.

A+ product for sure.

7. Stormfire12 macrumors newbie

I ordered the power support anti-glare film, but I was wondering- how long does it usually take to ship? I ordered on the 17th but my order still says "pending". It didn't say anything about being out of stock on the site.

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Their site is down?

9. Smacky macrumors 6502

10. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I ordered on Saturday, it "shipped" on Monday, just got it today. They send it priority, but it seems like they take their sweet time in dropping it off at the post office

11. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I should get my PS today, they take their time to ship I can tell you that. :rolleyes:

13. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Let us know how the install goes. I ordered mine this week.

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Well I gotta say it was not as easy as I thought it would be putting it on. The screen is big so it's a little harder to get everything perfect. But after taking my time, I got everything on perfect.

Attached Files:

15. Stormfire12 macrumors newbie

Wow! I got an email from power support Friday after emailing them with a question about when they thought it would ship. They said that they had shipped on Tuesday but that it apparently got lost in the mail so they overnighted me another one and I received it today. After being very impressed by their customer service I find that the screen is just as good!

You definitely need to be patient during the install but once it's on there seem to be no finger prints, glare was reduced and softened, and my fingers even seem to move better on the screen. The screen clarity is slightly altered, but I think it still looks amazing- text doesn't seem blurred either. I would say it's worth the money, and I would buy from them again :)

16. joni1 macrumors newbie

Anyone know if its possible to order PS screenshields from anywhere else? Their shipping to sweden is just, WTF-material. I think the cheapest one was $70...

The iPhone shield is available through applestore but the ipad one is for obvious reasons not.

17. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Ngenerator, did you watch them install it? Any secrets from the pros at the store? I have one on my iPhone, went on easy, since the shield is kinda thick and not too flimsy, but I haven't installed on my 3G, it's on order

18. DctrJ macrumors member

Power Support has an ipd install video on YouTube. They also have a quick video on removing dust particles from under the screen. Both are short and worth watching. I've had one on my iPhone that lasted for two years, then I got the bright idea to change it and the second did nt go on as well. Ordered one for my iPad but not looking forward to installing it.

19. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Nope, I always do them myself. I turned my shower on to get the bathroom foggy (to cut down on airborne dust particles).

Then I clean the screen with a microfiber cloth to get rid of fingerprints (obvious really ;))
    I then peel the backing off and cut off about an inch off the bottom (where the button hole is). This gives me less "air-time" for the screen to get dust on it.

I center it and make sure it's straight, then push the protector onto the screen via pressure from the backing plastic. I'll see if I can post a pic of it when I'm done with work today :)

20. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Here is how I place the screen protector on my gadgets. Paper 1 is the protector itself, paper 2 is the plastic backing and paper 3 is the iPad/iPhone screen. By using the pressure from pushing #2 down, you should get minimal bubbles at the end.

Also, the main thing I always to is cut off about 1" off the top of paper #2 (relative to the pic below, it would be the bottom inch when you are looking at it with the home button hole at the bottom). That way you will be able to line it up around the home button without the chance of getting dust between the screen and protector.

Sorry it's a very crude representation, I just forgot to get a pic of it last night ;)

Attached Files:

21. nabechu macrumors 6502

Went to the Power Support store in Burbank this morning and had them install the film for me. Wow it sure does make a huge difference. :D

22. wodeh macrumors regular

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=4953&t_mode=des&affiliate=gadgetoid

(Affiliate Link)

Due to my affiliation, you're welcome to take my words with a pinch of salt, but I like the Proporta screen protectors. They "feel" good, they reduce glare, and they mitigate finger smudges quite well. In fact I recently replaced my Proporta screen protector on my N900 with one included in the OtterBox and am really missing those features. (the OtterBox case itself is typically awesome, however)

What it also does, however, is ever so slightly distort the picture, something to do with the coating causes it to act slightly prism like and produce a grainy/sparkly hard to explain result. It's only noticeable when you're looking for it, though, and certainly not a reason to avoid the benefits of this protector. Efforts to take photos of this effect have been largely unsuccessful, as it just looks like standard camera graininess.

It's £14.95 or $22.95, well worth it.

I have one ready to put on my iPad and do a more complete specific review in 4 days time. Woohoo.

23. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

I just received and installed the Griffin Matte Screen Protector in the UK - powersupport aren't out yet here and it has a similar effect, but TBH the near non existant reflections and no fingerprints far outweigh it. Good choice if your in the UK looking for something - I got it from Cancom next day delivery by UPS for £14 +p&p

24. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

I have the Griffin on my iPod (waiting on delivery of my iPad) and have also noted the same effect. Not a big deal for web browsing and games with the iPod but I have found it distracting when reading emails or using the Kindle for iPod app. I have found that I get significant eye strain unless I increase the font size (not a problem with the naked screen). As I plan on using my iPad as an e-reader quite a bit, this might be a major issue, although it may be less of an issue on the larger screen of the ipad than on the small ipod screen.

ETA touch function is just fine, seems no less sensitive.