Good, proven mouse for Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Phrasikleia, May 27, 2008.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

My beloved MacAlly IceMouse seems to be dying a quick death in Leopard. It causes Leopard to register single-clicks as double-clicks about 80% of the time, which is utterly maddening (this is a known issue, as you can see here). My trackpad and Wacom tablet don't seem to have this problem, so I'm going to replace the mouse.

Can anyone recommend a mouse that they have been using successfully with Leopard (ideally in combination with a laptop, since maybe this is a laptop-specific problem)?

I'd like something that is optical/laser, that has a scroll wheel and at least two buttons, and that comes with a good driver for customizing response and button behavior.

2. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

I use Microsoft's Wheel Mouse Optical. Good and cheap with a nice control panel.

3. kingtj macrumors 68020

Sure!

I love the Logitech MX Revolution mouse! I wasn't sure it was worth the rather high price, but I finally broke down and bought one when I had a discount coupon -- and wound up liking it so much, I got a second one for another Mac.

The scroll wheel that can switch between "free wheeling" and a "ratcheting" motion is more useful than you might think ... and IMHO, everything else is right about it too. Good feel, just the right size and weight, rechargeable in its dock, battery life indicators on the mouse itself, accurate laser tracking, plenty of programmable buttons......

www.dealmac.com even featured one on sale today!

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I agree. It is an awesome mouse. I can't live without it at this point. Highly recommended.

5. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I use a Logitech VX Nano mouse with my MacBook and it's pretty good.

6. brandonzar macrumors regular

I use the VX Nano as well, and I highly recommend it. It didn't work very well when Leopard first came out, but since the last update I haven't had any problems. The small receiver is great for laptops because you never have to remove it, it also has the freewheel/ratcheting scroll wheel like the MX Revolution which is one of the features I love the most. I have heard people say that the drivers for logitech mice stink for Mac, but I haven't had any problems. All of the buttons are programmable and the extra buttons are of great use for things like expose, dashboard, and spaces. It is also well sized, small enough to be portable but not so small that it is uncomfortable to use (I have rather large hands).

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I strongly suggest going to an electronics store, try out different mice, and see which one fits in your hand.

I personally like logitech, I have 2 Logitech MX 400.

8. ra noodle Guest

the best mice to buy or those who have mastered the wheel, take a 1/4 inch black tie wrap and put one around the mouses abdomen and take another and put that around its neck and with heavy black thread of fishing line make parallel holes into these tie wraps that you have cut off and "sew" this into a harness. Then cut an old USB cord that still works except not for what you had and make a harness for the white mouse, with that done plug it in and put cheese products here and there and I think you'll find the mouse you picked will work out very well

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I use a Logitech MX310. Works fine. Was fairly cheap for as many buttons as it has. Software is ok. I had a Kensington I liked, but the software wasn't good at all. Tried USB OverDrive, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped. Any mouse will do though. You really only even need the software if it has more than the standard 3 buttons.

10. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

:D Sounds like you need a mighty mouse..apple makes them..:cool:

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

any standard mouse will work in leopard i would think

12. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Try the Logitech MX-518. The MX-518 has adjustable DPI settings and six buttons that you can assign to Exposé & Spaces directly in Leopard (no 3rd party drivers required).

13. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

A mouse is a very personal thing - I love my Logitech G5 but others dont.

Razor make some lovely models, but again its all down to what you feel comfortable using.

(but anything is better than the mighty mouse << am not a fan :( )

14. paulej69 macrumors member

I agree - I never liked the previous Apple mouse, so I was surprised that I ended up liking the (wireless) mighty mouse so much. I gave my old Logitech multi-button mouse to my wife...

:)

15. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

When I got my iMac I wasn't sure I'd like the Mighty Mouse. However, after using for a while, I really like it.

16. NH MacGuy macrumors newbie

Logitech V470 Bluetooth Laser Mouse for Notebooks

This mouse is incredible! Works great with my Powerbook! Bluetooth eliminates need for dongle; perfect for portables. Included software is ok...check out SteerMouse for total customization.

17. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'm using a Microsoft Optical Mouse Blue with my iMac and have no complaints. I was in a hurry to replace my Mighty Mouse and it was the only decent mouse Wal-Mart had in stock. Works great with Leopard, I just plugged it in and it began working right off the bat.

18. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

It seems like there aren't too many people having the double-clicking problem--lots of mice in this thread to choose from! Thanks so much for the recommendations. I'm looking into all of them. :)