Good quality non-instrusive speakers for iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by superdudeo, Sep 23, 2011.

1. superdudeo macrumors regular

Hi,

Looking to improve on the sound with some sort of external speakers. Thing is, I don't particularly want some ugly big speakers sitting around so looking for non intrusive, high quality etc.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated, perhaps links if you're feeling generous!! From the UK btw.

2. Kenjhee macrumors regular

I've been playing around with external speakers for my 27" iMac, too, lately (I have a thing about using internal computer speakers for music, I'm funny that way).

Well, depends on where you want to draw any compromises. You can go full-tilt with a small multi-media setup, since as a general rule, the better sound you want, the physically bigger you have to go with components. Like you, I like unobtrusive, so decided to err towards smallness and get portable laptop speakers. I like the bellows-type speakers like iHome sells, as you get a little more bass than the small enclosure size would normally dictate. Not a huge improvement over the iMac internals, but again I wanted to lead towards small with some improvement on sound.

Here's nice set, not hard on the pocketbook, either. Another advantage is you can also use these with your iPod/iPhone/MacBook. http://www.ihomeaudio.com/iHM79BC/

[​IMG]

3. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Can you tell us how much would you want to spend and what will you be using the speakers for (music,movies)?

4. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

What's big in your mind? You will be sacrificing sound quality the smaller the woofers are generally, but of course there's always exceptions.

5. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i hope op doesnt mind me chiming in on a question:

i too, would like an 'elegant' cleaner solution with speakers. im not a crazy audiphille but its certain almost any decent desktop speakers are better than internal speakers. with that said, my biggest concern about going w/ another speaker setup is all the extra wires. are there any speakers out there in particular that use the least amount of wires (if that makes sense..) or have good wireless quality (which i doubt exists in today's tech)

as for the wires, i know there are cable management solutions (which i currently use) but having less wouldn't hurt :)

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

To improve sound quality w/o unsightly addition, I went with this:

http://twelvesouth.com/products/bassjump/

It's not going to give you hi-fi, but it a decent augmentation to the iMac internal speakers if you just want better sound and keep the desk looking good.

7. Kenjhee macrumors regular

Well, there you just talking about all the new Bluetooth-driven speaker systems coming out (or eventually Apple's own AirPlay). Wireless connectivity, where it's all headed anyway.

8. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Have you looked at Harmen Kardon Sound Sticks? The sound will blow your socks off and they're not your usual black plastic fair either. Check them out ;)

9. cgrp2002 macrumors newbie

10. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

11. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

Alas those Bowers have an awesome review...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/bowers-wilkins-mm-1_Peripheral_review

I am looking for something that is on a similar elegance level but maybe not as much as £400.

Small and as few wires as possible is the dream! I am not an audiophile but appreciate a good quality sound; it will be used for music and movies.

12. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

13. Kenjhee, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

Kenjhee macrumors regular

Ahh, then you should be looking at an iW speaker. AirPlay connectivity, SINGLE enclosure, nice form factor as well. $2-300 US, not sure if available in GB.

There was a lot of anticipation on the iW1 release. I may get one myself.

[​IMG]