Good RAM?... and hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brosmooth, May 9, 2009.

1. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

i just got a umbp and want to upgrade to 4gb of ram, i know in the past atleast some macs dont like all ram, so will this work?:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/4GB-for-MacBook...s=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

or any sugestions on what to get?

Also, im gonna upgrade the hd to a 250gb 7200rpm, i looked at newegg and ifixit at a couple but seemed pretty expensive, but i guess idk what would be a good deal, anyone have any sugestions for that too?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I get most of my stuff over at OWC High quality components, a good price and excellent customer service.

I'm kind of picky when it comes to ram, so I'll either buy it from OWC or crucial. While they may not be the cheapest, I have peace of mind that I shouldn't run into any issues but if I do both companies (crucial and OWC) stand behind their products.

3. sm0 macrumors regular

i went with corsair stuff after reading it worked fine in the umbps
    only to find constant freezing and garrbled screens

after that i was unable to find a retailer in NZ that would guarantee compatibility.

so i went and bought this stuff, guaranteed compatability:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/4GB-2X-2GB-DDR3...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

worked perfectly and total cost incl ship was cheaper than would i could buy here in NZ

A++ would trade again

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

My suggestion: get a bigger capacity HD, like the WD 500g Scorpio Blue (my preference - which is much faster than the stock drive) or the Seagate 500g 5400rpm drive (avoid the 7200rpm drive for now...) because it's not a lot more $$ and it will hold twice as much data... more useful over time than slight speed difference which won't be noticed, if it even exists. The high capacity dual-platter 500g drives have a much higher platter density (250gig per platter) which contributes to much faster access and data throughput speed.)

I opted for capacity when I replaced my drive, and I'm glad I did. I originally had a 120g drive, and figured 250g would be plenty, then started looking at 320g drives because they weren't a lot more. When I saw the WD500g drive on sale for $89 at Newegg (with the 10% discount from their email subscription newsletter) I jumped on it. They threw in a usb external enclosure for no charge. Now I've already got 256g of stuff on my drive, and it's only been a couple of months. I'd already be looking to replace a 250g or 320g drive, if I had gone with one of them...

Just some thoughts for your consideration... :)

5. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I totally agree with pdxflint! My last PC HDD was only 100gb. When I bought my Mac it had a 200gb HDD in it. I am already overflowing and looking to upgrade too. Go for the 500gb. why buy twice when you can buy once.

Oh...and look at OWC for your ram and HDD upgrades. Crucial is great too but is a little bit more money.

6. sm0 macrumors regular

tell me more. is the Blue Scorpio noticeably faster than the stock unibody hitachis? chur

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Read this whole article/review - 9-10 pages. It does compare with a number of drives, maybe not your exact drive, but it gives a fairly good idea of performance in general.