Good Reader's new instant pdf page turns

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by caubeck, Jun 11, 2010.

1. caubeck macrumors 6502

By pre-caching pages, page turning in Good Reader has become as good as in Fast PDF and United Reader, if not faster.

This is great news for users, not so good for the apps whose claim to fame was speed.

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I noticed the update just a little bit ago. I have not had time to look it over tho. United Reader is still faster. That App is so light on it's feet it's gonna be hard to beat.

iTunes Link

3. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not so sure. GR uses realistic page transitions, UR switches instantly, but I think they are equally fast.

4. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

GoodReader rocks! I have loaded highly complex engineering drawings (PDFs generated by AutoCAD) and specifications (500 page text PDFs) and it handles them with ease. It eliminates lugging big sets of documents around. The instant page turning makes it even better.

5. Rengoku macrumors newbie

I agree, good reader is much faster now, but it still stutters somewhat, and they need to speed up the zooming. Nonetheless, great progress with this new version.

6. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

7. pooryou macrumors 65816

Hopefully they are still planning to add CBR and CBZ support.
    Still one of my fave iPad apps.

8. glitch44 macrumors 65816

If you haven't had time to try it, how do you know United Reader is faster?

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Please stop confusing people by asking them for facts! He just knows that United Reader is faster and that's all there's to it.

;)

10. lily69 macrumors regular

I confirm that United Reader is still faster. I have both Apps.
    Now I use GR to read text and UR to read graphic intensive PDFs and big files 300-500MB. Zoom is faster on UR too. UR is slower when go backward, kind odd.
    UR web downloads is better also. Other than these, GR is generally feature richer.

11. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

I think we have reached a point at which speed differences become purely academic. I doubt I'll get through a book much faster even if the page turning rate improves by a thousand percent, but it might be good for card tricks.

12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Page turns are still slow for me in GR, I've got some pretty hefty PDF files though.

13. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Even though GR is much better, it still doesn't work perfectly on my larger files. I can swipe a few pages but then it hangs while caching. Like it caches a few pages before and after the page I am on, but it doesn't continue to cache while I'm flipping pages so after two or three, I hit a wall and it has to cache again.

14. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yep this is what happens to me. I might get a couple pages that are fast, then the next page takes several seconds to load. Honestly I don't see ANY difference in the GR update and iannotate, which does the same thing. At this point I think it's a hardware memory limitation. Seems like GR only caught up to iannotate in loading pages, nothing more.

15. RHatton macrumors regular