good reason to buy macbook now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bolank, Jun 1, 2008.

1. bolank macrumors newbie

I'm strongly considering buying a macbook (the black) once the back to school deal is in place. Even if they do release a new macbook this summer, isn't there a good chance the first version will be buggy? I don't know that I want to deal with guinea pig troubles with a new macbook.

Also, even if they release it at the beginning of august, would shipping delays keep me from getting it for a few weeks? I want to have time to upload all of my cds/software/whatever before leaving for college August 24.

2. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Yea, It could be buggy. I kinda think some bugs are only noticed by extra picky people like me. I don't think you have to worry about shipping delays unless you order an upgrade option. If you decide to get a current version, you might consider a refurb. For one thing, if the new version is way cool, you won't be in as deep with the older one. I got my refurb 2.2 blackbook a few days ago for $1049. You have to check the site every day for a week or two to find them though. The 2.4 is easier to find for 1299.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you like being "outdated" in one month and thirteen days.

Montevina on July 14. I'm waiting until then to buy my MacBook Pro for college, and I'm going to IRELAND for my first semester starting August 7, so you can see the level of trust I have in Apple's shipping times.

4. bolank thread starter macrumors newbie

well the new macbook isn't necessarily coming out BEFORE the end of august, right? so who knows.

5. Petey07 macrumors member

Are they releasing Montevina on that day or just announcing in a conference?
    if so, Are they most likely to put on the shelve on that day?
    What if the date get pushed again?

6. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

what benefit does waiting provide? As a student you probably will never use, nor harness the full power of the new processors doing research and writing papers, playing music, or surfing MR. Millions of students across the world are using MacBooks or iBooks or PowerBooks and they're providing plenty of computing power for a college student. I've NEVER been in the situation as a student where I've needed some sort of super computer.

Also, is this your first mac? If so you'd probably be better off getting one now to familiarize yourself with the OS before you move off from home. Just my 2 cents take it for what's it worth.

7. bolank thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I will mostly be using my computer for basic tasks, but I'm a journalist so I will be using InDesign and Photoshop. Not sure how much power those programs require..

Which brings me to another question, I want to buy my computer white the educational discount on the Adobe Creative Suite 3 is in place so I can get these programs. Any idea how long this will last?

8. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I use PhotoShop on my Black MacBook every day and there's no problems what so ever with speed or power. I think you'll be fine with the MacBook that's currently out.

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I used Photoshop on my G4 iBook, and it ran great. It'll run quite well on any MacBook you buy.

10. bolank thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any idea how long the creative suite 3 deal might last?

11. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Adobe.com

12. bolank thread starter macrumors newbie

didn't see anything on their website, and the deal is through the apple store..

Am I just not looking hard enough?