Good reason to use Windows on Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Poochi, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Getting the new MacBook Air... Debating about continuing with Windows Bootcamp/Virtual Machine.

I used to boot up windows just to use Office 2007 becuase Office 2008 for Mac was piece of %#$@

Now, Office 2011 is not bad anymore, is there another good reason to install windows on bootcamp or virtual machine?

2. celticpride678

If an application is Windows-only or if you want to play a game that isn't supported under Mac OS X.

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You could have it there just in case you get an itch to crack out the Solitaire. :p

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Like others stated, unless you have a windows specific program then no. There is nothing that windows can do that a mac cannot as long as you don't need a specific application.

For me unfortunately I have to start using Unreal engine (windows only) and I program in visual studio sometimes (also windows only). If it weren't for these two things I would have no need for windows.

5. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

I also used it for Office but not anymore but I still have it just in case

6. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

7. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I use vmware fusion solely to run office 2010 and internet explorer. Here's why:

Office - although I like office 2011 a LOT, I make a ton of presentations which have to work without compatibility issues on other people's presentation machines. The only way to GUARANTEE this is by running office for windows in compatibility mode and saving documents in their native 1997-2003 file formats (.doc, .xls, .ppt - not .docx, .xlsx, .pptx). I have been using this system for years and still have not had one compatibility problem (picture or video not loading, font looking different than I made it, animation not working, etc). Given that it is always backwards engineered, I will never trust mac office to work correctly 100% of the time, hence, I run office for windows.

Internet Explorer - some terrible terrible websites only display correctly if IE is used. The most prominent example is outlook web access and other very old sites. Given that I unfortunately have to visit these sites from time to time, I keep IE installed for that rare occasion.

BTW - running vmware fusion allows the programs to run in their own windows so you don't need to restart the computer. Its great.

8. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Pretty much on the same boat... Office 2007 / IE on VM.

I didn't know there may be compatibility issue using 2011.

Was so looking forward to free myself from Windows altogether!

9. vistadude macrumors 65816

There are a lot of very nice windows-only apps like windows live messenger and media center, and some people like windows better. But if you're using the computer for basic stuff like office and web browsing, windows isn't needed.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

11. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Sole reason I run Windows via Parallels is to test websites on IE 6-8.

12. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Just leave it off until you know you will need a particular Windows application. For me it hasn't been worth the hassle yet. I just use another computer I happen to have that is running Windows for those occasions that I need it. It isn't worth the extra minor effort of keeping Windows and it's applications up to date and running smoothly in addition to the OS X side for me yet.

13. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I run windows 7 through bootcamp for only one app - Quickbooks. From everything I researched - quickbooks for MAC sucks, plus I needed the Non-profit edition. Something that is ONLY offered for windows machines.

If it wasn't for that I'd have no need for Windows.

14. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I use it to play all the good games on windows. Macs always suck for gaming.

Also I have office installed in my - for the cases that pages / iwork does not open office documents properly.

15. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Not always. :(

Bryce 7 Pro exists for both Mac and Windows, but the same add-in purchase crashes in Mac but not in Windows.

Native OS X apps will be sublime (e.g. Logic Studio). But ported apps (Bryce, anything Adobe, etc) may not be as stable, or as fast.

16. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

I only have Windows 7 on my iMac for gaming, everything else is Mac.

17. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I bought the iMac i7 just for running Windows 7 and it runs very well. I too need Quickbooks but also AutoCad. I will never even boot my iMac into OSX again as I have no need too!

The screen is as good as it gets and the total form factor also made the cost well worth it for me. The iMac is one of the best looking systems you can buy. Get a decent wireless MS keyboard and mouse and you are ready to go!!!

18. Skald macrumors member

Skald

Use it for "War in the Pacific" & Quicken

I installed Windows 7 solely to play a strategic game, War in the Pacific - Admirals Edition (Matrix Games) and Quicken 2005 (since every subsequent iteration of Quicken seemed to be a step backwards). For me, and for some others, War in the Pacific is a killer app.

19. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Purely for gaming in my case. Apples video drivers are way behind the ones ATI/Nvidia provide for Windows and a lot of games will never get Mac ports.

20. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

True - andworse, today I tried going to nvidia's website to update the video driver for my macbook pro (17", mid-2009). In July, I could automatically get the right driver downloaded by clicking on the 'detect' button. Now it tells me I have to go to Apple for drivers.

Never mind the quality of Mac ports (will they be crash-prone or slow? "The Sims" definitely runs faster in bootcamp... :( )

Apple's v81 or whatever the original version was (181? Either way, it was OLD) is crash-prone, but I'm glad I still had v257 whatever archived... but v260 I cannot obtain, even via a manual download -- I get an error saying "unsupported hardware found" despite putting in the proper gear (9600M GT, Win7, 64-bit)... :( But v257 is good enough.

21. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^ Try this
    Nvidia mobility modder
    Had to use the ATI version of this all the time until they recently started putting out the mobility catalyst drivers as well.

22. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I only use it for Office 07, although I may upgrade to 2011 just for ease of use soon. Still plan on keeping 07, along with bootcamp for any gaming or any potential needs. On an air, I'd avoid it simply because of the lack of extra space on the SSD.

23. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

That's the only tempting aspect of Windows are the games. I did my taxes this year on Windows as the Mac version was screwy.