Good, reliable and cheap ftp server...eh...service?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Mitthrawnuruodo, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hi.

As the title tries to say: I'm looking for a nice, reliable and cheap storage space online with ftp access (don't need anything fancy, just an ftp access for backup files from a cpanel).

I'm guessing I'm needing something like 50-70MB each day (or week), so a couple of GB bandwidth/month would be preferable (but I could manage with less), and also a couple of GB storage (so I don't need to clean up all. the. time.) would be nice.

I've considered A Small Orange, which has a perfect solution, but since we already have our server there it's the thing about keeping all the eggs in one basket and stuff...so I'm kind of looking for another place. ;)

(Actually: MobileMe would also be perfect, since I have plenty of space on my MobileMe-accont, but I need to be able to access it using ftp, WebDAV just won't do, I'm afraid. :eek:)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Amazon S3 storage with some sort of FTP "gateway"? If you google there are lots of things about doing this.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Bluehost, although probably a bit overkill. Comes out to around $7-8/month with bandwidth and storage space caps so high you couldn't use it all if you tried. They don't have the fastest transfer speed but other than that I like them a lot for my personal website.

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

So far I am happy with Dreamhost, which offers a lot more services than just FTP in their (only) hosting plan. For the first year it is possible to find very large discount coupons floating around on the web.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

If I read another "nice, reliable and cheap" I will throw myself off the roof.

I mean no disrespect to you, but my dad (aged 72, I am 30 years his junior) says things like that. He's a man who does not understand the concept of value when in decades past inflation, global competition and tough restrictions on import and export didn't exist. You COULD find nice, reliable and cheap all at the same time when the competition was localized and small in number.

These days there are so many web hosts that offer FTP servers and so many different types (virtually hosted, VPS, dedicated, co-located, etc.) that it's easy to find nice, but you will need to pay more for reliable. That's because you need to define your needs and then shop the competition, making note of services, features and support being offered.

I'm just sayin' PLEASE understand these days cheap and reliable usually do not mix. Nice doesn't mean anything other than a clean GUI which for FTP is a dime a dozen, plus it might be nice to be able to do the same via SSH and a CLI through Linux or whatever.

I'm just spewing here and God bless my dad, but this generation should improve and share these concepts. In tight economic times, it's essential the concept of value be clearly understood and discussed.

Lecture over, and thank you for your time. I need a drink!!! (note: whole thing here posted tongue in cheek)

-jim