Good, reliable UK phone insurance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tyranical, Jun 17, 2009.

1. tyranical macrumors regular

Anyone recommend any good insurance companies that i can insure my soon to be 3GS with or should i just go with O2?

Seen lots of cheap ones on the net but all get terrible reviews.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Get contents insurance which includes mobile phone cover? Otherwise even with an iPhone its probably a rip-off to get the insurance.

3. tyranical thread starter macrumors regular

I was wondering about this, how does home and contents insurance insure my iphone if its not in the house? Its not the contents of my house when its hardly ever there?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It depends on the policy but they can cover contents that are out and about. You have to check this with your home insurance provider though.

Even with an iPhone £5/month for phone cover (which is what it usually costs) is going to be a complete rip-off. The chances of something going wrong is way less than the cost of the phone outright.

5. haydn! macrumors 6502a

£5/month?

O2's insurance is £10/month, CPW is £14/month but does include contract cancellation insurance!

If you drive and travel a lot, it may be worth looking into a premium account with your bank. They often include mobile insurance for free on those 'pay to use' accounts but only works out cheaper if you'd make use of the other benefits too... like car breakdown, travel insurance, etc.

6. tyranical thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry but how does it work out cheaper if i have a completely uninsured phone and say for example, drop it in the toilet (it happens). Its cheaper to go and pay £400+ for a new phone than to claim it off a £5/month insurance policy (which on an 18 month contract is what, £90)?

Rip off? I see that as value for money tbh.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Firstly apparently its £10/month, see the following:

The reason it isn't worth the money is because at £10/month the insurance will cost £180 over the 18 month contract. The phone costs £400 (or thereabouts) to replace.

Therefore if the probability of being able to claim on the insurance is over (or close to) 45% then it is worth having as 0.45*400=180.

Whereas in reality the chances of being able to claim on the insurance, and not on a normal guarantee is probably closer to 5% or so which makes the insurance a rip-off.

Additionally there is a maximum defined cost for the iPhone of £400 so its not like travel insurance or house insurance where you could have a heart attack and need to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds of hospital bills (which you can't afford) or lose your house and have to rebuild it which would be similarly expensive.

8. tyranical thread starter macrumors regular

Well I know for a fact that myself and alot of my friends have had to claim off insurance at some point or other in the past 12 months due to drunken falls, stupidly going in the pool with my phone in my pocket etc, theft, etc.

9. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Insurances are always a gamble, but I think with something as expensive as an iPhone it's worth it for the peace of mind.

The handset will most likely be more than £400 to replace also. The 16GB 3G currently retails at £599 unlocked - though I'm not sure what terms O2 would offer if your phone did break, and you didn't have insurance.

There are also other benefits too, like the cost of any calls made after your phone is stolen. Plus, peace of mind is somewhat priceless.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you think the odds are higher than 40% or so then go for it. You must be a very high risk customer ;).

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Which are probably covered anyway after you report it stolen.

12. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

check with Endsleigh

my macbook and iPhone 3GS 32GB have been insured with them

policy starts at midday on Friday and is for 1 year

only costs £77

whatever happens it will be replaced or repaired - includes leaving it on the tube, jumping in the pool with it, getting mugged, dropping it etc.

You cant insure just a phone with Endsleigh, you need to insure a laptop or take out contents insurance aswell. So i just stuck my laptop on there for the lowest price which is £400. and the iPhone is insured to £540 but they will only pay out cash if they are unable to repair and can't get hold of a new one.

Seems like a pretty good deal compared to o2's £10/month and i get my macbook partially insured.

13. Supersonic macrumors regular

The Halifax offer mobile insurance (up to two phones if a joint account) on their Ultimate Reward bank account. THink its £12/month and gives free travel insurance too (which can add up to a lot of cover) with some other stuffs too...

* Worldwide multi-trip travel insurance for two adults and all your children.
    * RAC car breakdown cover – roadside assistance when you need it most.
    * Mobile phone insurance for home and abroad if your mobile phone is lost, stolen or damaged.
    * Card Care card protection for all your registered debit, credit, store and charge cards if they are lost or stolen at home or abroad.
    * Home emergency cover – from burst pipes to broken windows. Get the help and repairs you need – 24/7.
    * £100,000 worth of travel accident cover – protection if you have an accident while travelling on public transport abroad.
    * Identity theft assistance – with identity fraud a growing problem in the UK, we'll provide help and support on our free advice line open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
    * Purchase protection covering the items you buy with your Ultimate Reward Visa debit card if they’re lost, stolen or accidentally damaged.
    * Price promise – if you buy an item with your Ultimate Reward Visa debit card and then see it cheaper elsewhere, you can claim back the difference from us.

14. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

15. 0B1 macrumors member

anyone got experience of customer service/claims with any third party insurance company?