Good, Reliable Wireless Router Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dansgil, Aug 13, 2007.

1. dansgil macrumors regular

dansgil

I currently have a Linksys WRT54G router, and have had nothing but trouble with it. Ca anyone recommend another good reliable router that is not too expensive. I was looking at the Airport Extreme, but I can't justify sending $180 on a router.

Thanks so much

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

How about the Airport Express then?

...or you may just want to try another Linksys.

3. dansgil thread starter macrumors regular

dansgil

The airport express wouldn't work as I want something with at least 2 ethernet ports for wired devices.

Anyways, I will never use a Linksys router ever again. They wouldn't even replace my router that was clearly under warranty. :mad:

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

4. Toknee macrumors member

There are a lot of choices out there, with $$$ being the limiting factor.

I currently run a Sonicwall TZ170 router, with a Netgear ProSafe WG102 access point, and have no problems with this setup from day one.

The new Airport extreme is a really nice unit, and if I did not have the current set up that I have now, I would get one of them.

But to answer your questions, and you no longer want to use liksys, I would look at:

Dlink
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127158

Asus
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320008

These are just a couple of suggestions, take a look at newegg.com, there are a lot to choose from.

5. dansgil thread starter macrumors regular

dansgil

Thanks, I'll look at Newegg.com, and hopefully I'll be able to find the router I want elsewhere (I live in Canada).

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please let me know

Thanks

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think Linksys and Netgear are pretty much *the* standard reliable solutions... i do have to say, though, that Apple's designs are bomb proof. It seems that there are hardly any threads about failing AEBS's, although granted the fact that the old one (which you can get used for not too too much, and which I highly recommend) only has one wired port.

I increasingly suspect that more than anything else, they just have better surge protection. That being said, perhaps part of the investment could/should be a surge protector that can also filter whatever incoming signal (DSL or Cable line) that you have? A lot of people implicate this as a major unmeasured cause of router drama.

7. dansgil thread starter macrumors regular

dansgil

I already have a surge protector that protects the Cable line, so I'm not worried about that. I think that I may just save up for an Airport Extreme. BTW, can you do port forwarding easily with the Airport Extreme?

Thanks