Good replacement to the mighty mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BeyondMountains, Jul 15, 2009.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

I hate the mighty mouse. Too many reasons to list.
    I do like left to right scrolling on the mighty mouse( thats about it)

I would like a bluetooth mouse. If not I can settle for anything wireless. (charging would be nice)

What is everyone using? Please link if available.

I have a microsoft optical mouse thats about 8 years old still works perfectly only problem is the chord.

in short: i want a new mouse
    -wireless
    -charging capability(would be nice)
    -reliable(wheel/ball doesnt get clogged)
    -accurate

thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I use the Logitech MX Revolution. It is wireless via an adaptor, which is the one thing I really would change. Other then that it fits all your need, but there is no real left/right scroll, however it has been an absolutely phenomenal mouse. It's charging feature is absolutely amazing and I've never had any problems with the mouse (clogged enough).

3. IronFixXxeR macrumors member

IronFixXxeR

I use an old Logitech MX1000. I have had it for many many years and it has been great! It has a charger and I have never replaced the original batteries. It has a left and right clicker if you move the mouse wheel to the left and right.

I had considered getting a new mouse like the Revolution but decided I will just wait until this one dies on me.

4. Kraftwerk9 macrumors newbie

I know there are many opinions here, but I have been using Rocketfish Bluetooth Mouse. It has been great to me at least. check that out!

5. Trev311 macrumors member

After the upgrading to Leopard fiasco surrounding Logitech (in short they installed an input-manager framework without asking that would break Leopard upgrades in the middle) I would never trust them on OS X again. I'm sure that there are plenty of people around that would disagree with me and I used to love Logitech mice, but not after that mess. Personally I use a Kingston bluetooth mouse that has seemed both accurate and reliable to me, but no charging ability.

6. hehejames macrumors member

+1 for Logitech MX. I use both the MX Revolution for the Mac Pro and the VN nano for MBP.

Apple makes a lot of great products. In fact, I’d say that the percentage of products it makes that are great is higher than that of just about any other large consumer/electronics company. But one product it makes is absolutely awful is simply the Mighty Mouse.

7. cube macrumors G5

Logitech V470 Bluetooth Laser Cordless Mouse for Notebooks.

Normal size, not a crappy "for notebook".
    But it seems not to work on glass.

I haven't tried it for gaming, but if that's what I wanted I would look at a Logitech with proprietary RF.

8. bigbird macrumors 6502

Another vote for the Logitech MX Revolution. I have 2 of these, one for a Mini and the other for a Pro.

9. andrew0122 macrumors regular

Logitech MX Revolution. I haven't found a better mouse. My friend has the MX 1000 and likes it, but the feel of the Revolution is FAR greater. The charging dock is awesome typically fully charged in 4 hours or so and will last me 2 months between charges (I use it a good 5-6 hours a day). I've had mine for a year now and will be buying myself another when this one eventually give out. Still in excellent shape however.

10. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

11. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

+1 for Logitech MX Revolution. Couldn't stand the MM, it hurt my hand. The MX is awesome. I have the dongle on a usb hub that is below my desk, so it's not in the way at all. Only kinda strange thing is the charging base, I wish it would just use a micro usb plug like most everything else...

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I went through a few MX Revolution mice with my previous PC. The key problem with it is that the rubber band around the scroll-wheel develops slack/slop over time and then the free-wheeling mode ceases to work well. Cutting the rubber band part off was the only remedy.

When I've had enough of the MM I'll try the Rocketfish bluetooth mouse next.

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I never use Logitech's crapware either, but I love their mice.

They work great with the generic mouse drivers. But if you want more, get USBOverdrive or SteerMouse. They're not free, but they're worth it.

14. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I use the same mouse. I bought mine when it was first released. Like you I am on the original battery. I use the mighty mouse when the MX-1000 is charging.

15. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Logitech MX Revolution is the best mouse I ever used. They are on sale for about 40 bucks at best buy right now.

Apple mice have always been poorly designed. they aren't worth the hassle

16. vermintrex macrumors newbie

I'm also using the Logitech MX Revolution, it's the bluetooth version that came packaged with the MX5500 keyboard, which I don't use.

No wires for me :)

17. vermintrex macrumors newbie

18. Brazzan macrumors member

Brazzan

I use the Microsoft explorer mouse.

I may not be a fan of their software, but the mouse is great and works well on a variety of grotty surfaces.

19. rwdds macrumors member

Use Logitech Marble Mouse USB on all 8 Macs and 3 pc's in my domain. Very inexpensive and work for years. Also use a Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman for use with a specific application due to it's built in scroll-wheel and multiple buttons.

20. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

What programs is everyone with the mx revolution using to control the extra buttons.

I have the bluetooth version and it doesn't seem to download the correct version and when connected via BT, it just uses two buttons and the scroll.

Thanks,

Kellen

21. noiceT macrumors 6502a

My boss uses the MX revolution too. He seems to really like it. Having a charging station is the key imo.

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The Mighty Mouse is fine. I can't say that about Logitech mice. The MX Revolution is good, but I'm not giving up one USB port (out of total 2) and a charging cradle just for something a little better. If only they made a bluetooth version...

Seriously, what's so bad about the Mighty Mouse? I'm not exactly a neat/clean person, my hands are sweaty at times. The scroll ball only clogged up on me when I was eating and drinking around my computer.

23. frimple macrumors 6502

Huh... I didn't know there was a bluetooth version of the MX.

Also, I like the Microsoft Wireless Mouse 8000

24. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

+1 MX Revolution. I wasnt aware there was a bluetooth version, but my experiences with bluetooth mice have not been great so im quite thankful that mine uses a dongle.

25. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I love MX revolution. I don't use the bluetooth version as I have had signal issues with that model. I have two MX revolutions and use it everyday.