Good Results?: Parallels & MacBook Pro's 2018?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MBX, Aug 23, 2018.

1. MBX, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

MBX macrumors 68000

Hi there

Anybody on latest MacBook Pro 15'' 2018 base model or higher that is using Parallels to play PC games on Mac?

I saw some examples on YouTube that look pretty good and playable. But those were late 2016 MBP's and earlier.

So I imagine it must be even better now on 2018 MBP's and latest AMD GPU's.

Has anyone played AAA games via Parallels on Mac and how was your impression?

2. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

Some games will be playable, but usually only when you reduce the settings massively, unless they are fairly old. You will always be better off to install Bootcamp and run the games natively. The usually necessary translation of DirectX to macOS' graphics APIs always imposes a noticeable performance hit. That is if the games run at all, since that translation is severely limited by the abilities of Apple's atrocious OpenGL and Metal.

3. MBX, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

MBX thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes seems I will unfortunately have to use Bootcamp. I wanted to use Parallels as it allows faster switching between the OS'es and between tasks.

But just tried to install Doom 2016 and it doesn't even start up. Most likely some directx, openGL & GPU drivers issues and updating drivers doesn't work as Parallels doesn't really use the GPU directly in their emulation.

If anyone is familiar and knows how to get it to work via Parallels I'd appreciate the input. Thanks

4. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

Yeah, there's no chance that this will work via Parallels: Doom 2016 uses either OpenGL 4.5 or Vulkan, which is both far outside the scope of what the host OS's graphics APIs can provide.

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 68000

I can run Crysis 3 for now (lol). And it's actually looking really good. Especially playing via Parallels.

I think I've seen somebody play Doom 2016 via Parallels on YouTube, not sure. I'll get Parallels 14 soon as that seems to improve GPU drastically and allowing up to 4GB VRam as well. Maybe works better then-

6. wubsylol macrumors 6502

Parallels works fine for DX9-era games, but that’s about it.