Good resume creation/editing app for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by javaGuru, Jul 27, 2008.

1. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I'm looking for a good resume creation/editing application to use on my macbook pro. Does anyone know of a good app to use? I am considering iWork 08 but does it have a good resume template?

2. aosman macrumors 6502

I would recommend Pages (part of iWork) and you have a bunch of resume templates to choose from.

3. dimonay macrumors member

Both Pages and Word have really nice resumé templates. And you can still get more on the Internet as well.

4. javaGuru thread starter macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

Thanks for the suggestions. How is iWork 08? I was thinking about purchasing it but wasn't sure how well it worked with ms office.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Pages has some decent résumé templates. Word has two decent templates. Microsoft's downloadable templates are not worth the trouble.

If you are sending your résumé to a company, then it will probably be scanned, OCRed, and cataloged by keyword. It will be the computer record that human resources will use to screen candidates. In this case, an ornate résumé will hurt your chances because it will be more difficult for OCR to convert your résumé into editable text. Ornate fonts, multiple fonts, colored text, text blocks—I'm sure that you can think of other things—bad!

Things are not quite so strict if you submit your résumé to human being. Make your résumé simple and easy to read. Keep it to one page—no more than two pages.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This used to be the standard... but not so much any more these days

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. javaGuru thread starter macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I'm trying iWork 08 Pages now but I didn't really like the templates so I'm trying to create my own layout which is becoming a pain. I actually already have a resume that I created with an applications I used on my PC and it worked well for me in finding my last 2 jobs. I want to be able to recreate and update this resume. Are there any good applications for page layout that might work?

8. applehockey macrumors member

applehockey

I do not know about iWork 08 for resumes, but the programs for everything else I know is amazing! FYI- If you ever watch any presentations by Apple (ex- Macworld Keynote, WWDC, etc), they use Keynote for the slideshow.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If Pages isn't working for you, then the problem may lie with your résumé. It is likely that you have junk and formatting that really should not be there. Obscure your identifying information and post a PDF version of your PC résumé. Other members of this forum will help you straighten it out.

10. javaGuru thread starter macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. The resume I have is a hard copy not a soft copy. I'm trying to recreate it from scratch. I lost the version I had on my PC so I am having to start over. I have found Pages extremely difficult for attempting to recreate the layout of my current resume. Thanks for the info though. :)

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

OT: Have a fried who works in human resources for UPS and she says they receive several a month shipped by Fed-Ex. :eek: Needless to say what file they go in.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The point that I was trying to make is that you should ditch your current résumé. Pages does a great job formatting résumés, but it is massive overkill. You are not producing the layout for a section of Maxim magazine; you are writing a synopsis of your education, work history, and contact information. With rare exception, a professional résumé can be done using Text Edit. I have seen only one university presidential candidate's résumé with more complex formatting. He lost the job to a candidate with a simple format.

13. javaGuru thread starter macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I actually like the format of my current resume. It has worked very well for me in helping me in getting my last 2 very successful jobs. So, I would like to maintain the format I'm currently using so an application that will help me with this layout would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the advice though.