Good reviewer w/some 4/6 Gb memory comparison

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Never mind, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Never mind macrumors 6502

Never mind

This youtube reviewer touches on the difference between the 6 MB of ram and 4 GB ram along with the normal rest of the iPad Pro 3rd Gen stuff.

2. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

3. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Since it seems like nobody on either these forums or YouTube understands what RAM is for, let me educate you:

You can hold open more apps, more tabs, more layers, more everything! It doesn’t affect speed in ways typically measurable by benchmarks! It’s about how far you can push the device in multitasking and when working with large, complex files like many may do in the upcoming Photoshop or the current Affinity Photo or Procreate.

The misinformation right now is astounding.

4. ericwn macrumors 68020

Another great piece of journalism from YouTube. /s

5. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Shh it's more fun trying to make the 1TB buyers feel a little remorse. :)

6. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Detroit Borg mentioned in his video review that the additional RAM is only present on the 1TB models to handle the additional SSD storage. He didn’t go into any more detail, though, other than to say that you wouldn’t notice a difference in performance between the two RAM sizes.

7. BaddAdvice macrumors regular

BaddAdvice

Wow, I couldn’t get past the first 30 seconds - that dude was annoying. What’s the Clif’s Notes version?

8. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

The reason the ram is higher on the 1TB models is because more than 4GB is required for the 1TB drive they are using. However, the 1TB models do benefit from the extra ram over their smaller drive siblings. Like Macduke said, this benefit is not felt in speed, but in multitasking.

That being said, anyone buying the 1TB model w/ the extra 2GB of ram solely for the purpose of "future-proofing" would likely be better off buying the storage version they actually need, and pocketing the money saved to go towards a future years ipad pro which will likely have more memory than even the 6gb today.

9. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I almost stopped watching during his first 30 seconds of intro but stuck it out and glad. I ended up subscribing to his channel.

Thanks for sharing.

10. raqball macrumors 68000

I find his videos entertaining... Not the same old bland reviews that are a dime a dozen these days..

11. shamus99 macrumors regular

But is it even confirmed that the 1tb ipad takes advantage of the extra ram in the way you described?

12. darkarn macrumors 6502a

I don't need Youtube to understand the difference between 6 MB and 4 GB of RAM :p

13. Never mind thread starter macrumors 6502

Never mind

Fully understand that more ram keeps more applications open, however, what is interesting that some thought, not having 6 over the 4 would be a serious let down in some performance. For me, I don’t leave alot of applications open and doesn’t affect me.

The first few moments of the video was completely different, What he has uploaded other times and it takes a little getting used to, but he is entertaining and different from the norm. Trying to watch some other videos of his and you’ll see that he is humorous and really not annoying like some I have seen

14. ConfusedChris macrumors regular

ConfusedChris

He’s a bit annoying but doesn’t take himself seriously and presents some interesting information.
    Subscribed, thanks.

15. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

^ THIS. ‘Tis why I generally ignore YT for any kind of review (tech and other things).

I knew Procreate would strain and freeze on the 2018 iPad with 2GB ram even working with 3 layers, no so such issues on the 10.5” iPP with 4gb. I wish I could go 6gb, but won’t unless there’s a drastic price cut, and massive improvement in Apple’s build quality and quality control.

16. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I haven't watched the video, so I don't know if it's mentioned, but in general increased RAM = increased battery consumption.

17. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Can someone buy the one terabyte model and actually try to load more apps pages versus that of the 4 GB model?

I would agree to what people are saying, you won’t see it in benchmarks so we actually need people with real world usage to give their opinions

18. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

I am impressed that some of you could make it past 30 seconds of this review. I couldn't...

19. BaddAdvice macrumors regular

BaddAdvice

So, I gave it another chance and agree, pretty good review and the dude became less annoying. I also hadn’t had enough coffee this morning before commenting on his level of annoying-ness - my apologies!

20. ascender macrumors 68020

ascender

So is anybody with a 4GB iPad Pro running out of memory yet?

21. canyonblue737 macrumors 65816

His reviews are the best, if you are into drones you should see his Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro and to see him tear apart something the GoPro Karma drones. They are some of the best reviews on YouTube.

22. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

He’s a good reviewer. He’s extremely detailed. If you are in the fence, he’s a good source, it’s better than those other YouTube reviewers who just need to go away

That being said. It’s also good for sleeping.

23. Ettepetje macrumors newbie

lol