OS X Good RPG's native on OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Raisen223, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Raisen223 macrumors member

Sorry if this has been asked to death already, but I'd like to know if there are any RPG's that run natively on OS X. No Wine wrapper, no CrossOver, no emulation; no nothing - just purely native. So, are there any RPG's like these? What would you recommend?

2. Dirtyharry50, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

RPGs

Eschalon Book I
    Eschalon Book II
    Mount and Blade: Warband
    Two Worlds II
    Avadon: The Black Fortress
    Avernum: Escape from the Pit
    The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition
    Legend of Grimrock
    Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
    Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition
    Might and Magic X - Legacy
    Avadon 2: The Corruption
    The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
    Wasteland 2
    Divinity: Original Sin

Action RPGs

Depths of Peril
    Torchlight
    Deathspank
    Din's Curse
    Deathspank: Thongs of Virtue
    Borderlands
    Diablo III
    Borderlands 2
    Dead Island
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
    Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Most of these can be found on Steam or the Mac App Store. Diablo III can be found on Blizzard's site.

Note: I left out the 3rd installments of Eschelon Book x and Deathspank as I've heard neither of them is very good. Also it is worth noting that The Witcher 2 and Dead Island were both done by Virtual Programming who use some sort of proprietary "tech" to port with but from what I understand both run fine. I haven't played them yet personally although I have picked them up on sale already.

Anyway, there is a lot of good stuff to choose from above depending on your tastes. :D

3. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Quoting only to note that this is not an action rpg, but a fully-featured classic pure RPG, in the same style as Wasteland 2 and Baldur's Gate series, with turn based combat etc. And also highly recommended as it revives the golden era of this genre.

4. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

On the other side, The Witcher 2, Two Worlds II and LotR: War in the North definitely are action RPGs.

So, yeah, the categorisation in DirtyHarry's post is slightly off the mark. ;)

5. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

The first Witcher also has a Mac version. Dragon Age is also worth a mention. At least Origins is, anyway. :D

6. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

The first Witcher is a wine wrapper, though, so it should be excluded from OP's list. Also, to my experience, this wrapped version was full of crashes beyond the first chapter.

+1 for Dragon Age, though. Also a pure RPG, with turn-based combat and great characters and story.

7. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Witcher is pretty demanding on hardware too.

I loved Dragon Age Origins. Lots of character development and story. Second one was disappointing.

I'm also a huge fan of the old D&D RPGs; you'll find more of them on GOG I think.

And having finished Legend of Grimrock a few months ago, I'd recommend it if you like old school dungeon crawlers with some puzzles in the vein of Eye of the Beholder.

8. vbedia macrumors regular

I thought Divinity: Original Sin was only available on PC. I heard also it is a good old classic rpg school.

9. Aspyr-Blair macrumors 6502

10. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Wasn't aware of that. I bought it on steam, and assumed that it was native.

Guilty as charged! Which reminds me, NWN is one of the best RPG series out there, and both of them have Mac versions.

11. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Oops. I stand corrected. Fixed post.

----------

Whoops! You know what is particularly humorous about that? I am playing KOTOR currently.

Well, can I get a A for effort at least, problems aside?

12. antonis, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Indeed. A great RPG close to D&D rules, also.

Thankfully, it's native, at least on the version sold on MAS. Oddly, though, I just noticed it is now removed from MAS. I hope it's temporary.

Edit: I was mistaken. I got Divinity:Original Sin from GoG.com where it's still available.

13. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Its still on steam if you like steam DRM.

14. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Eschalon Book III is a fine game (and also MacOSX native). But it's not as 'deep' and lengthy as the previous versions. Also, the Eschalon developer is taking forever to issue game updates/patches to places like Steam and MAS, even though he had the patch already done for people who purchased directly at his own website. Laziness.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition II looks beautiful old school D&D. Problem is that they are taking many months to even get patches out and the initial release was riddled with tons of bugs. I would avoid it until the next major patch (v1.3) comes out for OSX, possibly not until the end of this year.

----------

Yep. Anything that was released as a Cider or Wine wrapper port is technically not a "native" Mac OSX port.

----------

NWN was quite some yeeeears ago, I wonder if the Mac version would still run in the era of OSX Mavericks and Yosemite? I kinda doubt it.

I would also add Bioshock games to the "Action RPG" list. But someone might call me out and say "Hey, that's strictly a brainless action shooter, pretending to be an RPG!"

15. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

Well, not really turn-based. It's real-time with pause, not unlike the Baldur's Gate games, but even more real-time.

And technically, it's also not native: the Mac version is nothing but a Cider wrapper. Still a good game, though. I really enjoyed it.

And you're right about that: the Mac version never got an Universal Binary treatment and hence no longer runs. NWN 2 would still run, but unfortunately, it's no longer available.

16. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Ah, that too ? That's a shame. I've played it on a PC back when it was released.

17. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Can't say for sure. It was definitely working quite well on SL back in 2010.

18. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

certain Expansions of the KIngs Bounty series runs on osx. Just make sure you download the full game because one of them is not the real full game but a smaller knockoff i believe called legions.

19. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I have an old boxed Mac version of NWN and it still runs fine on Mavericks, I know because I was playing it a couple months ago.

NWN2 also runs under Mavericks I have an old boxed Mac version still installed and it also runs OK.

20. Solomani, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Oh nice to hear that NWN2 still runs! And I still have Mavericks, won't be installing Yosemite until at least 10.10.1

Would performance on NWN 2 be pretty good on a modern i7 quad-core iMac? I'm guessing yes, but the title is long before the time of all the latest OpenGL optimizations with Mavericks/Yosemite etc

And last question…. is NWN2 an open-sandbox, create the character you want type of RPG?

I'm already tired of games that force you to be a specific type of hero, who already has a specific type of background history. It also predetermines what your quest will be, and the game already scripted how you would "save the world" (e.g. Diablo 3).

I see there are a few boxed copies left (MacOS version) online.

Edit: well that stinks, I just found out Aspyr lists this as No Longer Available. Can't buy directly from Aspyr any more. And I might also guess that they may have stopped supporting it? :(

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You guys are forgetting the biggest RPG out there.

World of Warcraft.

22. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Not at all! I play it every day. :D

I figured though that MMOs are a genre unto themselves and probably were not what the OP was looking for.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ahh. Ok.

Perhaps I've killed you at some point.

:p

24. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Please, tell me you are Horde.

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I am both..lvl 90 horde toon and a lvl 90 alliance toon.

I also have a lvl 100 on beta.