Good RTS Game for a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by girgentiam, May 30, 2010.

1. girgentiam macrumors newbie

I just purchased a 15 inch MacBook Pro. Here are the specs: 2.53GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 500 GB hard drive, Intel HD Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB.

My question is... What are some good RTS Games that would run smooth on that system? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

starcraft 2 is coming out july, which i would recommend, it runs on mac natively

there's also the total war series, age of empies, command and conquer series, etc. most are PC only so you would have to install windows

3. Mirabella macrumors regular

4. kr4yzi3 macrumors newbie

It's Real-Time-Strategy.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the Starcraft II too :D But I'm more into the RPG, just can't wait 'til the day lay my hands on Diablo III :D

5. Mirabella macrumors regular

Ah. Thank you.

I'm looking forward to Diablo III, also.

6. wake6830 macrumors regular

Do you use bootcamp? If so, Company of Heroes plays well on my 15" 2.5ghz C2D with an 8600 GT and only 2 gigs of ram. You can get the whole series for pretty cheap from Steam.

If not... I don't know. I boot into windows for my gaming.

7. girgentiam thread starter macrumors newbie

Other than StarCraft, what are some games that run natively on Mac that are worth purchasing?

8. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

I would recommend the Command and Conquer series. They have decent- good graphics and really good game and campaign. Get those cheaper on eBay!

9. showkati macrumors regular

Cant go wrong with these with the Age of Empire series, but i prefer
    Age of Empires 2 over 3 :D

10. vacuumtube macrumors newbie

11. 0eyvind macrumors member

Agreed. Sadly I only have 3, lost 2 a while back. :p

12. 0eyvind macrumors member

13. muttonhead411 macrumors member

Supreme Commander 2 for if you plan to install bootcamp! Hands down the grandest RTS out there... you'll see what i mean by grandest when you check out some reviews

14. girgentiam thread starter macrumors newbie

is age of empires 2 still sold? and is there a mac version of it or do i have to run bootcamp or something like that?

15. revbarabbas macrumors regular

you can still get it and all of the Age of Empires came out for mac and pc native.

16. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

What's StarCraft 2 about and what do you do in it? Will it work on a base 13" MBP?

17. revbarabbas macrumors regular

Starcraft is the most popular RTS ever made...there are 3 races in the original. Human, Zerg, and Protoss and they each play completely different strategies but the way the game is balanced none of them is any more powerful than the other. The original was released back in....ummm...I wanna say 98, 99? So Starcraft 2 is a huge bump in graphics...it goes from 2d graphics in the original to full 3d in the new one....it's actually one of the best selling games of all time "worldwide" and is even used by the Air Force to teach tactics and crisis management.

But to answer your question simply...it's an update to a classic RTS with a scifi theme about a war involving 3 distinct races, and yes it will run on any current Mac.

18. piwi macrumors regular

Could you back this up with a link? I'd like to know more as to how they use it

19. Meever macrumors 6502a

Team Fortress 2! >_>

What? It's definitely real-time.... and it requires a lot of strategy.... Seriously though, download steam and try out some indies games. They're mostly platformers but a lot of them are surprisingly brilliant.

20. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Bootcamp and Company of Heroes = great gaming fun if you like WWII RTS. Just don't run DX10 with nvidia chipsets and Brits or Panzer elite players in use. There's a crash bug that's never been fixed.

Cheers

21. plaztikrhino macrumors newbie

LOL TF2 is most definitely a real time strategy game... you better keep moving or a rocket will be coming after you!

22. 3YearsOfHell macrumors newbie

+1000 for company of heroes...

Best rts ever !

23. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

What about Heroes of Newerth? Runs native on mac and performs very decent on the new mbps

24. revbarabbas macrumors regular

25. yensteel macrumors regular

Starcraft II for me.

If you don't know what it's about, here's a page detailing the story and background of the first game.

http://kr.starcraft2.com/features/storysofar.xml

One thing great about Starcraft and hopefully, Starcraft II is the story and design.