Good screen cleaning liquid/ kit

clukas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
hi,

sorry I if I posted this in the wrong forum. Im looking for a good screen cleaning liquid/ kit which does not cost the earth. Preferable around £5 or below 10. I dont want to buy any in case it contains chemicals which could damage my MBP and iMac screen. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Wet the tissue, use tissue/cloth to make it dry then micro cloth / cloth that wipe glasses.

I use those alcohol that people use to clean their hands to wipe the screen and keyboard too.

appletechpro

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
I just use heavily diluted glasses cleaner and a soft cloth (black one included with normal MBPs).

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
I just use heavily diluted glasses cleaner and a soft cloth (black one included with normal MBPs).
From my own experience, the black mf cloth that comes with MacBooks release a black colored tint when used with water.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I bought a screen cleaning kit for my HDTV about 2 years ago. It came with this HUGE bottle and a decent sized lint free cloth. It smells like BLUEBERRIES!

Anyway, I think it was $15 and it does a great job cleaning my screen(s). I've still got more than 75% of it left.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
thanks for the feedback. Are there any known/ particular chemicals which I should avoid which could damage the glass on the MBP/ iMac?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
thanks for the feedback. Are there any known/ particular chemicals which I should avoid which could damage the glass on the MBP/ iMac?
I doubt you're going to damage the glass on the current iMac or MacBook Pro, but I don't know what kind of coating Apple is applying to the glass.

Apple is pretty specific with their cleaning instructions.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#portables

That being said, I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/CleanDr-60600-Plasma-Screen-Cleaner/dp/B0016A63I6

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I use Zeiss Lens Cleaning Wipes on my computer and iPad screens. I use them on my camera lenses that cost more than a MBP. You can find them in the eyeglasses department at Walmart.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I would avoid any harsh window cleaner type products that contain ammonia, like Windex for example.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Thank you! I'm not alone!

From my own experience, the black mf cloth that comes with MacBooks release a black colored tint when used with water.
This is the black dye leaching out of the cloth - people, this is not a good thing and Apple should know about this, who knows what the dye is? When you use warm gentle soapy water to wash your precious cloth Apple provides with your Macs, it leaches, bleeds a lot of black into the water for a LONG LONG time, it has been leaching for the past year and some for me, I wash that cloth twice a week still leaching out the black dye. Why couldn't they save money and just do a non dyed cloth? Duh !