Good screen cleaning liquid/ kit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clukas, Aug 4, 2012.

1. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

hi,

sorry I if I posted this in the wrong forum. Im looking for a good screen cleaning liquid/ kit which does not cost the earth. Preferable around £5 or below 10. I dont want to buy any in case it contains chemicals which could damage my MBP and iMac screen. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

warm water and a soft cloth.
    £0.50.

seriously.

3. clukas thread starter macrumors 6502a

clukas

tried that already ;). Just wanted to see what other people used, and give it a go.

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Wet the tissue, use tissue/cloth to make it dry then micro cloth / cloth that wipe glasses.

I use those alcohol that people use to clean their hands to wipe the screen and keyboard too.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Stoners Invisible Glass and a microfiber cloth.

6. appletechpro macrumors regular

I just use heavily diluted glasses cleaner and a soft cloth (black one included with normal MBPs).

7. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

From my own experience, the black mf cloth that comes with MacBooks release a black colored tint when used with water.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I bought a screen cleaning kit for my HDTV about 2 years ago. It came with this HUGE bottle and a decent sized lint free cloth. It smells like BLUEBERRIES!

Anyway, I think it was $15 and it does a great job cleaning my screen(s). I've still got more than 75% of it left.

9. clukas thread starter macrumors 6502a

clukas

thanks for the feedback. Are there any known/ particular chemicals which I should avoid which could damage the glass on the MBP/ iMac?

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I doubt you're going to damage the glass on the current iMac or MacBook Pro, but I don't know what kind of coating Apple is applying to the glass.

Apple is pretty specific with their cleaning instructions.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#portables

That being said, I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/CleanDr-60600-Plasma-Screen-Cleaner/dp/B0016A63I6

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I use Zeiss Lens Cleaning Wipes on my computer and iPad screens. I use them on my camera lenses that cost more than a MBP. You can find them in the eyeglasses department at Walmart.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would avoid any harsh window cleaner type products that contain ammonia, like Windex for example.

13. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I use iklear. It's what we used to use at Apple when I worked there.

14. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Based on Apple Store's recommendation, we now use iKlear and it works great. No streaks, easy to clean. Ammonia and alcohol free.

Tons of positive reviews on Amazon.

15. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Thank you! I'm not alone!

This is the black dye leaching out of the cloth - people, this is not a good thing and Apple should know about this, who knows what the dye is? When you use warm gentle soapy water to wash your precious cloth Apple provides with your Macs, it leaches, bleeds a lot of black into the water for a LONG LONG time, it has been leaching for the past year and some for me, I wash that cloth twice a week still leaching out the black dye. Why couldn't they save money and just do a non dyed cloth? Duh !