Good Second Monitor for the 27-iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by powerhouse7, Jan 28, 2010.

1. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

Hi.
    There's a good chance i'll be buying a 27-inch Quad Core iMac in the near future. Currently, I have a dual screen setup with my current (5,1) iMac where both screens are the same size. I really like having both my screens the same size and want to do the same for my new iMac.

Does anyone know of a good quality monitor that is 27-inch with a 16:9 ratio? I don't need lots of features that ups the price, I just need a good quality (I do photo editing) screen the same size as the 27-inch iMac.

I don't have a strict price limit, but I don't think i'll spend over $500. I don't care about the brand.

Thanks for any help!
    :eek::apple:

2. powerhouse7 thread starter macrumors regular

3. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You won't get a 27-inch monitor anywhere near the quality of the iMac monitor for under $500.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Double your budget and you can get a Dell U2711.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, since you do photo editing, wouldn't you be more interested in a higher quality screen? I'm presuming that you would want an IPS panel in it. Have you considered getting a refurbished 24" ACD? Apple offers those for $599, which I think is a great deal.

6. powerhouse7 thread starter macrumors regular

I like the idea you have Jaro65. I think that will be what i'll do if I decide to get a second monitor. I'm going to use the iMac without a second monitor for a while and see how it goes. If i get fed up with not having one i'll either use my current second monitor, or get a refurb.
    Thanks a lot for your help guys

7. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

problem is, just about any screen you put next to the 27 (assuming you get one in working condition) is gonna look crappy in comparison. So far the best option I've found is a refurbished 24" ACD, they're about $600 when they pop up, and are of the same quality as the 27, just not the same size.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Just FYI, I also got my ACD refurbished. It came in an absolutely pristine condition and I've been really enjoying it.

9. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The only option right now is the Dell U2711, which is the same panel as the iMac except matte and CCFL backlit. There are other 27" monitors around, but they are 1920x1200/1080 rather than 2560x1440.