Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honda237

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I have the iphone 3g and had a griffin case on it and it scratched the back of my phone really bad. So I took it off and I am now looking for a very slim case that is protective and won't scratch the back of my phone. i like how the phone is with out the case but I am kind of clumsy so I don't want to break my phone. I would also like to get it in black. Any suggestions would be nice.
Thanks
Nick

3gbuff

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2009
I have the iphone 3g and had a griffin case on it and it scratched the back of my phone really bad. So I took it off and I am now looking for a very slim case that is protective and won't scratch the back of my phone. i like how the phone is with out the case but I am kind of clumsy so I don't want to break my phone. I would also like to get it in black. Any suggestions would be nice.
Thanks
Nick

I like the Incipio Feather and the Contour Flick. Both are slim and help keep scratches off your phone. Both also come in black. Problem is if you say youre clumsy, those cases arent made for shocks due to dropping. Youre better off with something a bit more drop resistant like a thick silicone or rubber. The Otterbox comes to mind.

honda237

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I guess clumsy was not the best word but I am looking for something that add a little protection against a drop when it happens. I gotten use to how slim the phone is compared to my old nextel yellow brick looking flip phone so i don't drop it really anymore. I was just looking for something that added a little protection.

honda237

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
How does a incase slider fit with a screen protector on? How does the case protect against drops? This case does not scratch the back of the phone right?

asuandy

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It doesn't scratch the back of the phone after a while?

It shouldn't if you're careful and keep a cleaning schedule. Once a week I take mine off and use canned air to clean out the dust/dirt and then I wipe off my phone with a microfiber before putting the case back on. It will most likely scratch your chrome however. IMO its impossible to not get scratches on the chrome with most cases.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
your going to have a hard time finnding a balance between slim and protection. You said you clumsy so i would lean more towards better protection then slim looks. The most recommended case would be the incase slider. I have not had one but from other posts its a love hate relationship. Some love it while others cant get it off (mainly white model) and report scratching on the back.

I had a feather and loved it but it left the bottom pretty exposed. I am not a clumsy person myself but i do live as much as protectionas i can get. I am rocking a speck candy shell right now. It does add bulk but i can live with it, however i think in your case(no pun) its a nice suggestion its offers really great protection and will not scratch your phone.

honda237

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
What do you guys think about the capsule rebel? It seems like a good case and it seems like it would not scratch the back of the phone because i heard read alot about people complaining that the slider scratch the phone.

asuandy

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
What do you guys think about the capsule rebel? It seems like a good case and it seems like it would not scratch the back of the phone because i heard read alot about people complaining that the slider scratch the phone.

You should check out "itsmemorphious'" Youtube channel for case reviews. He has reviews for most major cases out there and for a ton of Mac gear in general. He reviewed the Capsule Rebel in a 2 part video. The links are below...

Capsuule Rebel Review Part 1

Capsule Rebel Review Part 2

honda237

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I will probably get the capsule rebel artic, I think it looks pretty cool. I not to worried about the chrome bezel because it is already scratch from my griffin wave case. Thanks for all the helpful information

machacker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I went through this search recently and ended up spending a lot of money needlessly. The Innocase II is fantastic. However it covered up the bezel and I liked looking at that part of the phone. So I also got a moshi iGlaze 3g. Best case ever. It shows the bezel, doesn't scratch the phone and has great protection for the back. Even has a cut out for apple logo. Which I love. It adds almost no bulk, but adds great protection. I recommend. :D

mrXniick

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Northridge, CA
I bought the switcheasy neo, did not like the loose fit and returned it. I then moved on to the gunmetal incase slider, and while it is a well made case, I just did not like the bulk it added.

I now have the incipio feather and love it.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
I know this threads like a month old now, but just wanted to give my 2 cents on the Incase Slider for those worried about it fitting with a screen protector and scratching and stuff.

a WHILE back i bought an Incase Slider (Black matte) for my iPhone 3G, it seemed to be extremely tight and it was impossible to get a screen shield on without it bubbling up. So i gave up on it, cuz i wanted my anti glare on my iPhone..

Just yesterday i went to Best Buy and all my twitter-er's told me to try one again. So i bought the white glossy this time. Apparently they have made the inside a little bit wider (you can't tell by just looking at it) so that it doesn't really seem to touch your screen protector, and its 100X easier to take the case off and put it back on.

Now it is my only case, props to Incase for improving it.

fam0usfam1ly

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
Los Angeles
go slider! i jus dropped my iphone lastnite. it was on my lap when i got out of the car. and fell to the street. the case stood up pretty good. its knicked and scratched now cuz of the fall. but better the case than my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.