Good small reasonable amp for B&W 685 speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by netdog, Aug 16, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

My house is all wired and ready to go. The iPhone remote was really the missing link in terms of music management, but I am going to buy a pair of B&W 685 speakers today and am looking for a reasonable and hopefully not too large integrated amp to drive them.

Most of my music is in Apple Lossless format and these speakers are really pretty good, but I don't want to spend a bomb on amplification for now.

I don't think that my Apple TVs or Airport Express with Airtunes have an optical out but would that be valuable in the future to use an internal DAC rather than the one bundled in the Apple networking software?

I want the amp to be quiet. I'd like it to support 120-240v (I live in the UK at the moment) though that is not absolutely essential.

I'm hoping that I can get a pretty cheap but decent amp that meets those requirements for now.

Ideas?

2. macmend macrumors newbie

no one ever answered this, why dont mac users know about audio?

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

A lot of details were missing from the OP, which is rather old.

If you're interested for something like this yourself, a budget and device requirements would certainly help.

You wouldn't want to be looking at 15kUSD for a set of mono blocks, if you're budget is much smaller.

Assuming you're after a lot of bang for the funds, try looking at (using the B&W as a target for power requirements):
    Rotel RA-04
    Cambridge Audio Azur 340A

Figuring on a budget of ~$250GBP.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Given the lack of price range and that it wasn't placed in the Digital Audio sub-section, it's not hard to see that it wasn't answered.