Good Software for Power Mac G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by HIMAN1998, Jan 24, 2013.

1. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

Is there any must have software for Power Mac G5s running OS X 10.5.8? I have one that is my current project and home computer, and I want some useful stuff. I already have the basics (iLife, iWork, Firefox, Skype, etc.).

2. Wildy, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

Wildy macrumors 6502

You're going to have to be a bit more specific on what you're looking for. I have compiled a list of programs I find essential here, some of which you might find useful. Note I now use Stainless instead of Camino as my main browser.

Off the top of my head though...
    -MacTubes for YouTube (outside of browser - though G5 should handle YouTube ok)
    -Dropbox for file syncing
    -Transmisison for torrents
    -Xcode for development
    -AuroraFox instead of Firefox - the build you are using is OLDDD, you are at risk of falling victim to security holes.

3. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Ati accelarator. Graphiaccelarotor. Both are fun and useful.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why would the OP have any use for either of those? S/he isn't gaming on it and would likely just burn out their video card.

5. HIMAN1998 thread starter macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

Sorry I haven't ever replied on this, I got rid of the G5 since I needed a laptop, and traded it for a Sony VAIO. Well, that laptop didn't work out and I sold it for $100 on Craigslist. I bought a ThinkPad and that is still running flawlessly, but I need a Mac for school now, so I'm trading this for a late '08 MacBook (unsure of specs, but either model is fine. Plus, it's someone at my church who needs a PC, and I need a Mac.). The G5 lasted me good with no problems.