Good speaker for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lucagfc, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Lucagfc, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

Lucagfc macrumors 6502

Hi

I'd like to buy a good set of speakers for my Mac Pro. I' m using it only to listen to music (Rock & Pop music) and sometimes to use my Mac Pro as guitar amplifier.

I want to spend maximum 200 $. Sound quality is my top priority. Design is important but secondary. I prefer wood and I don' t like design with transparent plastic!

Can anyone help me?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Get the best optical link (TOSLINK) compatible speakers within your budget that you can find.

3. Lucagfc, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

For me sound quality is really important! So i prefer to buy something tested by other user that can explain me the speakers sound quality.

I prefer to buy no-toslink good speaker instead of toslink bad speaker!

In case i will buy a USB DAC!

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

If sound quality is critical and you are prepared to get a USB DAC, then get a pair of studio monitors. Search the Audio forum for some past threads. I ended up with a BlueSky 2.1 system with Sat 5 MKII satellites and a Sub. They've recently revamped their entire line up though...

http://abluesky.com/

5. toxic macrumors 68000

I think those are a bit more than $200....

as far as 2.0 systems go, I only know of the Swan D1080MkII08, Audioengine A2, and M-Audio AV40. all are studio monitors. if you want a 2.1 system, either you step go down a level from those and buy your own sub, or you go with normal computer speakers. the only 2.1 computer speaker I'd recommend is the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't think that TOSLINK connections between source and speaker results in excellent sound quality? Um-m-m-m:rolleyes:

7. Auszero macrumors member

Get the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 you wont be disappointed. They sound great and can fill a room. You dont need anything with toslink

8. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Up the budget if you can..... Take a look at the Apogee One Soundcard and also the Fostex PM0.4 active monitors.

You are probably looking at about $400 for the lot.

9. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

It's a shame that transparent plastic is out of the question.

The Harman-Kardon SoundSticks II are brilliantly clear speakers well within your budget of $200. The power rating doesn't sound impressive but the speakers sure do.

I have a preference for HK, but Bose makes some decent speakers in that price range too.

Good luck,
    Happy speaker shopping,
    Keri