Good speakers for a MBP and iPod

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kevzy, Jul 4, 2008.

1. kevzy macrumors member

Hey peeps,

I have a budget of around $150 - $200 to buy some speakers for my MBP. I would also like to connect them to my iPod.

Obviously I would like to get the best quality for my money, any suggestions?

Thanks a mil.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'm not really a fan of 2.1 systems in general (much better to go for a good pair of monitors or hifi speakers IMO), but the Logitech offerings all seem pretty good for their price, and perform much better than other computer speakers.

3. mtfield macrumors 6502

I just purchased Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 speakers... The reviews I have read are all favorable so i'm really looking forward to them! I found them for $230 total (a bit outside your budget, but not too bad..) I will post once I give them a thorough test

4. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

What exactly is a 2.1 system compared to a pair of active monitors?

5. PcEhAoCsE macrumors newbie

I second mtfield's suggestion. If you CAN spare a few more dollars, try to get the Logitech Z-5500. On the other hand, if you truly are within that budget, try looking at the Logitech Z-2300 (also THX certified, but 'only' a 2.1). These are the speakers I have, and they are amazing and rated high up on cnet . They run pretty cheap too, at around $50 refurbished on Amazon.

6. munson macrumors 6502

munson

2.i refers to having to "satellite" speakers and a sub in most cases, I think, whereas regular 2 would only have the two speakers, and no sub. As for quality difference, it all depends on the quality of your monitors or your 2.1 set. I personally prefer the two monitors for the simple fact I haven't heard a 2.1 set that matches the quality of a decent pair of monitors.

7. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I own 2 sets of the A2's and a set of A5's... they are... simply amazing for a small no-sub system. Highly recommended! :D

Also, here is a coupon code for 10% off ordering them directly from audioengineusa.com: DHT10

They offer free shipping too. I promise I don't work for them, but I'll sing their praises all day. Great guys too.

8. kevzy thread starter macrumors member

9. suprajoe macrumors member

I got these an have really enjoyed them. I would highly recommend them!

10. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

A lot of people are recommending the Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 speakers lately (not just in this thread), but I'm wondering if they even read the OP's needs?

They are indeed a nice speaker setup, but there are other factors to consider. First off, the subwoofer is huge. Also, it's a surround setup, so there are 5 speakers in addition to the subwoofer, and this is going to require a lot more space than a 2.1 or monitor setup. The lowest price I've seen on the Z-5500 is $200 plus shipping, and that offer was for a few days only.

The speaker wire is attached, and can't be upgraded (easily). If you're not planning on playing games or watching movies, than surround sound is not necessary. Likewise, if these are things you intend to do, then it's a fab choice.

OP: I've heard good things about the Harmon Kardon speakers you linked. I think if you like the look, you'll very likely be satisified with them.

11. kevzy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys,

Digitalnicotine is right. Im really looking for a set of desktop speakers that will be used mostly for listening to music in my apartment or at parties. Maybe I should have been a bit clearer.

I will be near an apple store this week and will probably pick up the Harmon Kardon's that I linked in my previous post.

Kev.

12. MacPM8 macrumors regular

^^ good choice. i just got them and they are sound nice and are unique.