Good speakers to use with MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scorch07, May 7, 2009.

1. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Ok so I'm looking for some good speakers to use with my MBP at my desk, but I'm not sure what to get. I'm not really familiar with the speaker scene right now and there's a lot to choose from. I'm looking to spend around $150 or so.

So far I've kind of looked at the SoundStick IIs, these, and I've also thought about getting some decent studio monitors and hooking them up some way. Any suggestions?

2. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

Something to consider

Some speakers sound good to some, bad to others. I would suggest going to an outlet store that has them hooked up and giving them a listen yourself.
    I did this and ended up buying Bose speakers. It was $99 for just the two (left and right), which was all I wanted to spend now, but I can always go back and buy the rest of the sound system later. To me the Bose speakers knocked everything else out of the game. Just the two basic speakers sounded better than the entire rack of other five speaker systems.
    Check it out by listening yourself.....quality does cost money.:)

3. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, yeah, totally forgot about Bose. I looked at the Companion 3s and got scared haha. Kinda forgot they have cheaper ones too though.

4. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

You can always add the companion 3's later...these are the base set of two.

5. m1stake macrumors 68000

Bose is a really over rated name. They're good speakers yes, but they're not worth the asking price.

Unless you're an audiophile, which you're not because you don't already have super expensive speakers, sticking between $50 and $70 or $100 will get you the best bang for the buck (For a 2.1 system anyway). I'd personally recommend Altec Lansing.

6. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I'm looking for some answers here myself. There are so many options with varying reviews. Right now I'm looking at the Audioengine A2B's. I hear they're a little bass heavy and not too good on highs and lows. Any thoughts?

7. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I've also been looking for a nice set of speakers. I guess I'm what you call a wanna-be audiophile. I already have some really nice headphones, I just want some nice speakers to use when friends are over.

8. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, yeah, I'm kinda in that "wannabe audiophile" category too. How about these Altecs? I know it's below what I said earlier but hey, they look pretty good and I'm all for spending less money. I've liked Altec stuff I've had in the past too.

9. Inside_line macrumors regular

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For that price range you can get pretty good headphones; have you considered that?

11. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

If you're going to go the headphone route take a look at this. I highly suggest any of the Shure headphones.

12. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I recommend the Harman Kardon Soundstick II, they look great and soimd really good.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

14. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I bought those same Bose too and I'm quite happy with them.

15. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Geez so many different good options to choose from, it's hard to tell what to get. I think I've about decided I need to just go somewhere local where I could listen to some different ones. Does anyone know if any of the big chains (Fry's, Best Buy, etc.) typically have speakers on display to listen to? I know Apple stores usually have some on display but they're usually just the high-end Bose ones it seems like.

16. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Are there any wireless speakers that you can use with the MBP and at the same time provide at least somewhat better quality than what is built into the MBP?

17. philips macrumors regular

philips

SoundSticks (I have first revision) have excellent sound quality. The main problem with them that very little of digital content can take advantage of the quality they provide. Only once (pretty much by accident) I heard them at their best - when my friend brought HD rip of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith". That was only when I understood what I really paid $200 for.

In past I also had my mini hi-fi on the table, so my both PC and PB were connected to real loudspeakers. But situation is the same as with SoundSticks: system would be underperforming simply because there is very little what can get most out of it.

At home I have SoundSticks. In office - Bose Companion 2. I can recommend SoundSticks. Bose - quite mediocre, I can not recommend (sounds good but poor build quality and very narrow stereo panorama).

My friend has JBL Duet and they sound quite good too (never had chance for real test). Also I trust Harman build quality and JBL brand more. N.B. SoundSticks are also in fact built by JBL Multimedia, but simply sold under H/K brand.

I had for several years hi-fi built out of Harman components - ah.. those HK 3390 days.. - so I'm clearly biased.

18. MacAlpha macrumors regular

I have these and they are great. I don't find them bass-y at all, and I am not a bass head.

19. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

I know someone already bashed Bose, but I own a great pair of Bose speakers with two built in mini sub woofers. The speakers have dual RCA inputs on the back so I can swap the speakers left or right and have the alignment match up with what I am listening to. They also come with a 3.5mm stereo phono jack on the front so you can simply plug in a pair of headphones if you want to be discrete.

I use the RCA inputs with my mbox. The frequency response is also very good. It's a great set up for what I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B00062QY5W

Those are the speakers. If you can find them cheaper then 83$ I would grab them in a heart beat! I got these as a gift a couple of years ago when my older 2.1 system died. :(

20. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

Where to go...

I went to Best Buy...not an endorsement, but they do have a large bank of speakers set up you can listen to. That's how I picked Bose, they blew the other speakers away, in my opinion, but you really do have to go and give a listen to see what you like, you can then probably find a better deal on the same speakers on the net.

21. philips macrumors regular

philips

I was bashing them couple of posts above. I have them in office and there are two main problems. First that connector to left speaker is flimsy: if it is touched one can hear static in the left speaker. Sometimes left speaker goes silent until you fiddle with the connector on right speaker. Second is that stereo is very narrow. Unless speakers directed precisely at you plus/minus foot, you might hear some weird echo-like sounds. Not too nice to colleagues sharing the office.

I'd rather go with JBL Duet (very simple and reliable) or SoundSticks (USB and price are minuses, great sound is one huge plus).

22. Hydroxs macrumors regular

23. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll try to go by there some day. I won't buy them there (personal issues with Best Buy), but I can at least figure out what I want haha.

24. TriHFH macrumors member

Go for a set of Audioengine A2 speakers, or Audioengine A5's if you have the desk real estate. These are preferred by true audiophiles, and as far as computer speakers go, these blow the consumer level Bose, Harmon Kardon, etc. out of the water.

These are comparable, however, to the Swan M10's as someone mentioned above, which would also be a great choice...

Also Audioengine sells an add-on that makes any of their speakers completely wireless without any sound quality loss.

25. powerboy macrumors regular

Logitech Z-2300

I have been very happy with these and the price is reasonable.

Logitech Z-2300