Good specs for OS9

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by skinniezinho, Mar 8, 2012.

1. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,
    I'm thinking of buying a machine for os9.
    As I have a passion for the BW Powermac G3,i'd like to know if it would perform good in os9.
    The specs would be something like:
    350MHz G3
    256Mb (maybe more, I guess I have some 128Mb stick lying around)
    6Gb HDD (maybe I will buy a 8Gb 266X or more CF card with an IDE adapter)
    Stock Video Card + 2x 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12Mb SLI or 3Dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI (I love 3Dfx hardware and found a V3 2000 PCI cheap).

Will this be fine?
    It is only to "try" os9,some legacy games, and of course have a BW G3, but if you say it will not perform fine I'll just forget the idea and try to install it on my G4 (but I guess it misses the "os9 drivers" install when we format the HDD).

2. goMac, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

goMac macrumors 603

Pretty much the only thing you need for a good OS 9 experience is a computer built in 1997 or later.

That G4 is a perfectly great OS 9 machine though, except for the graphics card. I just dual boot my Power Macs, I don't keep a separate Mac for OS 9. No reason to. If you can get your hands on a Mac GeForce2/3/4, they're all better cards, and they all work on OS 9. I have a GeForce 2 in my Cube (fanless) and it works great. Might be cheaper than a G3 if you know where to look.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Those are good specs for OS 9. I like to keep at least 256MB of RAM in a 9 machine even though it'll run just fine with half that. More RAM helps with running some newer programs like Classilla if you want to do a little web browsing. Most of the time my blue and white G3 was my primary system, it was running OS X, but I would still boot into 9 every once in a while. You'll be flying with that setup.

4. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I won't be browsing with internet with that machine, I have my G4 and my macbook for that stuff =)
    Thanks for the tips =)

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

All hail the Smurfboxen :eek:

Just about any B&W G3 or Sawtooth G4 with 128mb or more of ram, a Rage 128 video card and a 6GB HDD will run OS 9 just fine as is. Of course any upgrades from these specs will only increase it's performance, so just go for it :)

When I sold my B&W many moons ago, it contained a G4/450, 1GB ram, an 80GB SATA Raptor w/pci controller, and a GF2/64mb video card. It ran OS 9 & OS X 10.2 extremely well :p

6. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

ahaha =)
    I don't want to turn this G3 in another "hacked "money toaster" machine" like I did with the G4, but thanks for the help =)
    I think the only "mod" is the cf card, because I hate noite, and old HDD make lot of noise.