Good Splash Page?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by waloshin, Aug 1, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

2. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Out of the two, A. But they both are horrible, design-wise. If you're looking for a good design, it's clear at this point you need to hire someone outside who does this work.

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

4. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

"Good Splash Page" is an oxymoron. Do not make one, it's not 2001 anymore.

5. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

Too true. Stay away from splash pages, theres no need.

I'm stuck in a dilemma with this site, it's a restaurant/night club. It's hard trying to come up with one overall theme for both to keep it as one site but I might just have to do a splash page with a choose your destination on it. Shame.

6. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

I have been saying this since I saw the logo. Not trying to be rude be the graphical side of what your doing is really really bad. Hire someone or buy a pre-made template.

Neon

7. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

i would not recommend a splash page as it is not needed. if for some reason you must have one, i would recommend neither of the two you have shown. splash pages were normally interesting, something like a flash animation or even a fluid, animated GIF (ie 15+fps)

8. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

A splash page is a very effective way to prevent visitors to your site. However, it would be even more effective to auto-play a Celine Dion song.

9. seventeen macrumors member

10. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Sorry to agree with everyone else, but splash pages are never useful. They are something the website owner wants, not something the visitor wants. Always think of the visitor. They also damage your Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).

Oh, and I can't see any difference between A and B.. am I missing something?

/Doug

11. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

This is exactly how it is! I grow tired of telling people that they don't need splash pages and still being asked to build them anyway.

Users are, by nature, lazy buggers! The more they have to click the more likely they are to leave your site. You do not need a splash page!

12. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Exactly. Designers/developers need to be able to outline the pros and cons of splash pages.

Pros - posibility of re-enforcing the brand with a pretty picture.

Cons - damages SEO, adds a meaningless page before the user gets to the content they want, often takes time to load (especially with flash), usually inconsistent with the rest of the site design, unnecessary cost increase (designer charges to do it when it doesn't need to be done), countless others that have been mentioned before - you get the idea ...

/Doug

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I couldn't agree with you more. I find splash pages to be meaningless even if trying to reinforce the brand name. Design a good site and you need not reinforce this with a meaningless page.

To the OP, ditch them both. If if splash pages were a good idea, yours are steps away from animated GIFs.

14. looman9635 macrumors member

looman9635