Good SSD for 2012 mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jgw1283, Aug 14, 2016.

1. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Yes this will fit and is a good drive. I put a SanDisk SSD into my 2012 Mac mini and it is running great.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

both sandisk and crucial are good.

also investigate the new crucial mx300 series.

4. jgw1283 thread starter macrumors regular

jgw1283

Is a Samsung 850 worth $75-100 more than the sandisk? I've read about issues with reliability with sandisk.

5. Nospig macrumors member

Had the 240GB version in a Windows 10 laptop for a while, no problems. Just bought another the same size for my 2011 Mini, hope it fits and works fine.

6. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

In my opinion no, the price increase is not worth it. You could almost buy another SSD for the $75-$100 premium. Never had an issue with SanDisk myself. I have one in both my Windows PC and my Mac mini.

7. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I have put 3 Samsung Evo SSD's (250x2 and a 500) into different MBPs and all have run faultlessly, I'd happily buy again. Of course that doesn't answer whether they are worth more than a Sandisk but all I can say is I am a satisfied customer.

8. campyguy macrumors 68040

Only Samsung 850 Pro SSDs in my company's 7 2012 Mini Servers, picked up a 500GB Pro at Fry's for my own personal unit. Fry's ran a sale last weekend plus a coupon code got it down to $177 - about $20 more than the EVO. The 850 EVO is a great storage disk, the 850 Pro is a much better OS disk - we have benchmarked them both as OS drives, still buying EVO SSDs too.

That SanDisk SSD? Pass...

9. dimme macrumors 65816

10. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Samsung are the best. SanDisk are more budget oriented but still ok.

11. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

SanDisk is made by Western Digital. Not exactly a no-name company in the world of hard drives.

12. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I bought one from Crucial. Basically turned my 2012 Mac mini into a brand new machine.

13. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

SanDisk is not "made by Western Digital". WDC just bought SanDisk, and WDC had essentially zero SSD experience prior (they did own Virident by way of HGST but never produced SSDs directly).

I personally would only buy Intel, Toshiba and Samsung SSDs. They are all fabs (they make their own flash). While SanDisk does operate fabs, they are most well known for SDHC cards, and less known for the quality of their SSDs.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2016 ---
    Oh, and to add: Crucial doesn't make NAND Flash. They put SSDs together from other people's stuff. For commodity SSDs I would only buy from the vendors that are also fabs.

14. scotttnz macrumors 6502

Actually SanDisk are also known for their SSDs being used in high end enterprise all flash storage arrays, such as HPE 3PAR. I'm sure they can manage a lowly consumer grade SSD.

Saying you should only buy SSDs from brands that make there own flash, is a bit like saying you should only buy Samsung phones because they make their own components. If you look at it that simplistically, iPhones are just a collection of parts manufactured by other companies, so nobody should buy one.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you are little off with your information here. Micron makes NAND chips and Micron owns Crucial and Crucial uses Micron NAND in their SSDs. Aside from that, who cares who assembles the parts. Apple uses all manner of third party parts from outside vendors then pays companies like Foxconn to do the assembly. I have not seen an evidence to indicate either setup is more reliable than the other.

Honestly, I think the SSD market is now fairly mature and you can hardly go wrong with any of the major brands out there.

16. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

Good points and understood.

I just have anecdotal knowledge of the reliability of SanDisk consumer/commercial (non-enterprise) grade SSDs: a company I used to work at was acquired by SanDisk and I keep in touch with may of the SEs there who were buying SanDisk SSDs for home use.

I am also biased by the internal qualifications of the company that I work for, and we only (today) use Toshiba and Samsung because they are the best SSDs for our all flash array.

So your points are respectfully well taken but my buying habits won't change.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 25, 2016 ---
    Good point, my list wasn't completely accurate.

I just never saw Crucial as a good DISK vendor: SSDs have disk interfaces and need to have both a quality implementation of the SATA interface as well as the internal NAND controller technology, all layered on top of the NAND Flash itself. Toshiba and Samsung both had large successful disk businesses and that allowed them to bring along a long history of knowledge before they made their first SSDs. Intel on the other had did NOT, and stumbled mightily with their first SSDs, corrupting/bricking many people's drives before they got it right.

Last I noted, Crucial is using a 3rd party controller. Samsung, Toshiba, and Intel use controllers of their own design, so it's possible for them to have intellectual property that makes the controllers work better with their NAND. Flash is not "generic" and there are errata on every chip. Flash has standard interfaces and yet all Flash has vendor proprietary interfaces/commands. When I worked at Fusion-io, we had to deal with this as we sourced NAND from multiple vendors (Samsung and Intel/Micron for the most part).

Crucial is a great memory vendor. I'd buy from them any day of the week for RAM. They are probably fine for most people for an SSD.

I guess I am just weary of the early days of SSDs where everyone was using 3rd party controllers, and SSDs dropped like flies hit with bug spray (thinking specifically about my OCZ debacles... multiple dead SSDs). On the flip side, I've had nothing but great personal experience with Samsung and Toshiba and Intel devices (since avoiding the X-25 issues). And I know why we qualify and disqualify some SSDs (not comprehensive however) from my current job in a company that ships an All Flash Array.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I hear you and remember that time also. I certainly do see your logic, but I just think we are in a pretty mature market now where this is not much of an issue. Just off the top of my head, I can't even think of a recent forum post from someone that had a aftermarket SSD die on them at all. They all seem pretty reliable now.

I appreciate your comments though. :)

18. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

At least we can all be reasonable and thoughtful on this forum! Appreciate your points as well.

On a side note, one of the most frustrating SSDs I own is a Seagate SSD. It's a low end enterprise SSD. I bought it as it went on sale, I think it was going end of sale. So I got two, relatively cheaply. It's slower than my Samsungs, runs hotter, just a boring old drive. It sort of reinforced my "only buy from Samsung, Toshiba and Intel" mantra. Seagate knows a lot about HDDs, but less about Flash.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 25, 2016 ---
    The other thing is that I have multiple TB of Fusion-io flash (PCIe cards) that I run in my MacPro 4,1 and another server, all running ESXi. Great thing about this is it's fast, ULTRA high endurance, and I can run Mac OS X VMs without hacking them on the Mac Pro.

19. MikeatOSX macrumors regular

MikeatOSX

Who knows...

20. craig1024 macrumors regular

I Have a 2012 i5 mini with that exact drive in 120gb it is very fast 18 second boot and near instant app launch speed.
    Edit: and trim works great too

21. adonis3k macrumors 6502

had sammy in mine forever still going good, need more space once the 1tb drop price