Good SSD for MacBook Pro (and OSX)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Constantine1337, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I am an owner of of MacBook Pro i5 2.53GHz and have a Samsung SSD (model# MMCRE28G5MXP-0VB) and basically I want a new SSD with some sort of garbage collection under OSX.

My SSD's specs are 220r/200w speeds, but in fact, they are around 50% atm. 1 year ago when I bought my SSD, I did not know of degradation problem and TRIM command. So, I want to buy a drive that is not OS-dependant and can "defrag" itself so I don't have to restore it with a PC-Machine (or at least a drive from a manufacturer that provides the tools to refresh the SSD on a Mac).

So, I fired-up Safari and Google and read some posts... as far as I understand it, the new SSD from OWC Mercury does have some sort of file management which is (supposed to be) constant.
    To be honest, I am simply looking for a SSD with decent speeds (preff. an SandForce Controller, since from what I read, they are the best at the moment) and with a good GC of its own (since OSX does not support TRIM), or at least a tool from the manufacturer that will enable me to restore the SSD after a while without having to go through hell and back in order to do so.

Any suggestions would be more than great!

Thanks,
    Milan

P.S. please don't post "get XXX, its great"... that doesn't help much ;)

2. csunflip macrumors regular

waiting for my OCZ Vertex 2 100gb. This uses SandForce controller.....

But not the 1500 and read that this one flies!!

3. altecXP macrumors 65816

I have the OWC 240GB SSD from macsales.com. It's also SandForce based. I LOVE it.

4. Constantine1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have any issues with SSD degradation and how is manufacture's support for the SSD (i.e. support for firmware update/reconditioning of the SSD)?

5. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

Check out this site, Lloyd has lots of benchmarks and test results to back up their claims that these Sansforce drives are speed demons!

As well, the macsales.com website has all the links for reviews of their SSDs at the bottom of the info page. I have the 240GB version and love it.

http://macperformanceguide.com/

There are also tools where you can backup your drive using superduper and then run some commands and have your drive "oven fresh" once again! I tried Lloyd's disk tester tool on two Intel X25's I had and it brought them back to their original performance spec in just a few hours.

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i have tried the Vertex LE (SF 1500 based) , vertex 2 (SF 1200 based) , intel 80gb

intel still owns the plate, i love my intel drive and chucked the 100gb vertex le in my desktop.

intel is still faster for everything i use it for.

7. Constantine1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you guys believe that Intel or OWC would be better for Mac? How is intel doing with its GC?

/edit

Does anyone know if Intel offers tools that enable one to recondition SSD on a mac?