Good SSH client

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by carfac, Oct 25, 2008.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Hi:

I am going to switch over my notebook from Win to Mac.... but before I do, I NEED a good secure telnet program. I asked this before when I got an iMac, and was told there was a fine telnet in OS X- true. But I need more. I have to secure telnet to multiple dozens of servers... sometimes in non-standard ways. So I need something that will keep the configs all separate, so I can just click on "Server X" and it will get me in on a non-standard port, remember my passwords, and put me into the directory on the server I want. And do this for many different servers.

What I use in Windows is SecureCRT: http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/

This is perfect, and what I want in a Mac program.

Any ideas?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've been sticking with Terminal unless it involves the forsaken tn3720x once in awhile.

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Thanks, that is the answer I got before. So maybe I am missing something. Can I get that to save a boat-load of profiles.... and then call up the one I need at any time, and it will automatically log me in to that server? (Sorry, I am still a bit of a newbie on these things!)

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

# nano ~/.profile

// and add aliases

alias youralias='your commands'

// you make as many as you want as then just type that alias into the terminal
    -----

like having

alias connectBSD='ssh -p 222 root@127.0.0.1'

so then everytime i type "connectBSD" in the terminal, it will execute the command "ssh -p 222 root@127.0.0.1"

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

You might want something like PuTTY - there is a MAC OS X ver (it uses Xwindows) and it is pretty much like the Windows varint (I used to use SecureCRT, but sarted using PuTTY as its more configurable). (of course in OSX I just use my shell :) )

6. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Thanks for the direction. I will look into PuTTY- I am not so into command line sort of things! I like nice, pretty GUI.

7. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

I use iTerm (http://iterm.sourceforge.net/) exclusively instead of terminal. You can save profiles/bookmarks for all your connections. It's excellent.