Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Hi

I am trying to find the best iPad 2 stand which will allow me to have the following: (More of these the better)

• Adjustable angle
• Connect USB cable in both orientations
• Allow portrait and landscape orientation
• Super sleek ;)

If you could let me know what you think isa good choice and what experience you have had with stands, I would love your help picking, thanks!

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
If all you're looking for is a stand (rather than a case), consider the Belkin FlipBlade Adjust or FlipBlade (for the original iPad). Meets your requirements and is 50% off on the Belkin website. (Use promo code FB50.) Sale ends 9/30.

They have several other stands, as well which you may prefer.

Also happened across the stand noted below from Brookstone. Notice that you're in the UK so I'm not sure about shipping and such. Good luck.

http://www.brookstone.com/ipad-stan...atId=L3_Elec_iPad|L2_iPodMedia|L1_Electronics

Last edited:

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
If all you're looking for is a stand (rather than a case), consider the Belkin FlipBlade Adjust or FlipBlade (for the original iPad). Meets your requirements and is 50% off on the Belkin website. (Use promo code FB50.) Sale ends 9/30.

They have several other stands, as well which you may prefer.

Also happened across the stand noted below from Brookstone. Notice that you're in the UK so I'm not sure about shipping and such. Good luck.

http://www.brookstone.com/ipad-stan...atId=L3_Elec_iPad|L2_iPodMedia|L1_Electronics

I like that Brookstone one, but it's iPad 1 only, and the OP needs one for iPad2. And that's the problem with so many of these stands; they're only good for one generation of devices.

The Belkin Flip Blade is a good choice if you're wanting something portable. I think those who bought the Skadoosh have been pretty pleased with them as well, and that's also portable.

If you're looking for something with a bit more heft, I did review ThoughtOut's Stabile Pro recently here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1232955/

I'm using it on my desk as my daily iPad stand. It's a bit on the high end price-wise (even worse than the Skadoosh), but the more I use it, the happier I am with it. It's rock solid, very positionable, works with most cases, and it looks pretty nice even without an iPad on it. What I'm not sure of is if they ship outside the US yet; Amazon does carry them, so it's worth checking to see if Amazon UK has them.

Do let us know what you get, please. There are plenty of case reviews around here, but not many reviews for stands outside of a small handful of brands.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I like that Brookstone one, but it's iPad 1 only, and the OP needs one for iPad2. And that's the problem with so many of these stands; they're only good for one generation of devices.

Ouch. Good catch. My bad. To redeem myself, I'll note that Brookstone does have a similar stand that works for both generations. BTW, I suspect the same stand is available without the Brookstone "tax" from other vendors. Brookstone simply sticks their logo on items manufactured by others.

http://www.brookstone.com/x-stand-i...atId=L3_Elec_iPad|L2_iPodMedia|L1_Electronics

I've been impressed with the Skadoosh model but I have a kid I need to send to college. The Belkin FlipBlade Adjust, though not quite as Transformer-chic is only $15 using the promo code noted above. Good until tomorrow night.

P.S. Like your choice of a stand. Very classy. Doesn't work for me because my desk is crowded with monitors that the iPad would block so I have it in my Origami Workstation. If I could live with less clutter, it would be a nice choice.

Last edited:

boraxatude

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
twelvesouth compass

I use this:

http://twelvesouth.com/products/compass/

It does only have two different angles, however, I found that the more vertical height was a perfect viewing angle when typing with an external keyboard and the lower angle was just fine for using the on screen keyboard.

Build, portability and sleekness factor is A+

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I use this:

http://twelvesouth.com/products/compass/

It does only have two different angles, however, I found that the more vertical height was a perfect viewing angle when typing with an external keyboard and the lower angle was just fine for using the on screen keyboard.

Build, portability and sleekness factor is A+

I didn't know they had it in colors now, sweet! That red is stunning; now I'm tempted to change out my skin and sleeve setup to something brighter. :rolleyes:

Question though: given the lack of rise from tabletop to the bottom of the iPad, can you plug it in in vertical orientation? I have a similarly designed folding stand, and I know you can't with that one. The OP did specify that as part of the criteria.

...Which, come to think on it, can the Belkin FlipBlade either? (I swear, manufacturers just don't think this stuff through sometimes!)

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I didn't know they had it in colors now, sweet! That red is stunning; now I'm tempted to change out my skin and sleeve setup to something brighter. :rolleyes:

Question though: given the lack of rise from tabletop to the bottom of the iPad, can you plug it in in vertical orientation? I have a similarly designed folding stand, and I know you can't with that one. The OP did specify that as part of the criteria.

...Which, come to think on it, can the Belkin FlipBlade either? (I swear, manufacturers just don't think this stuff through sometimes!)

The Belkin FlipBlade Adjust does allow charging with the iPad in the portrait orientation. Tight fit but it works. Can't speak for the TwelveSouth.

boraxatude

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011

Yes there is enough room for the plug to work both horizontal and vertical (I have a portenzo case as well)

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Thanks guys. I ended up going with the Twelve South Compass, which I was always considering before hand, as I just love its design.

Turns out, the functionality is great as well! Upright and typing angles, landscape or portrait and can have in charging in any position.

I would recommend it!

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Thanks guys. I ended up going with the Twelve South Compass, which I was always considering before hand, as I just love its design.

Turns out, the functionality is great as well! Upright and typing angles, landscape or portrait and can have in charging in any position.

I would recommend it!

Looks like a good choice, Josh. Just a word of warning (somewhat tongue in cheek.) Another thread about stands I recall included a post from a an owner of the TwelveSouth who said he was stopped at a TSA checkpoint because the stand looked like a folded up weapon on the x-ray machine. YMMV. And I hope it does.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Looks like a good choice, Josh. Just a word of warning (somewhat tongue in cheek.) Another thread about stands I recall included a post from a an owner of the TwelveSouth who said he was stopped at a TSA checkpoint because the stand looked like a folded up weapon on the x-ray machine. YMMV. And I hope it does.

Ha, oh my goodness. Well I don't plan on taking it out often at all, let alone to an airport, so or me it works out well, but interesting to hear.

They may push the portability factor if it and it does have a super slim profile design, but that doesn't stop it being a perfectly functional and appropriate desk stand, I would still recommend it.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Ha, oh my goodness. Well I don't plan on taking it out often at all, let alone to an airport, so or me it works out well, but interesting to hear.

They may push the portability factor if it and it does have a super slim profile design, but that doesn't stop it being a perfectly functional and appropriate desk stand, I would still recommend it.

The original silver ones are still one of the classiest looking portable stands I've seen, and I can see why it would make an excellent desk model as well. Glad you found something that works well for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.