Good starter MIDI controller for GB/Logic?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by iTurbo, Nov 3, 2018.

1. iTurbo macrumors 6502

Can anybody point me in the right direction to get a good relatively inexpensive keyboard controller to use with Garage Band/Logic?

I had an old MOTU FastLane USB MIDI interface and an old Fatar MIDI keyboard controller, but my iMac doesn't recognize the MOTU interface, so I'm looking at getting something with built-in USB.

I don't really care about having built-in sounds, but having good pads for percussion sounds is a plus (unless a dedicated perc controller would be far better) and maybe some faders/knobs but nothing too extreme..

Thanks in advance.

2. nathansz macrumors regular

i love my m-audio oxygen 49

it’s totally affordable, easy to set up, has decent keys, pads, faders and knobs

3. iTurbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks; that is one I've been looking into. I hope it has aftertouch like my old Fatar Studiologic but that's not a deal breaker I guess.

4. nathansz macrumors regular

it doesn’t have aftertouxh but you could assign channel pressure messages to a knob or slider

i haven’t tried to do this and it maybe inelegant but i suppose you could make it work if you had to

5. vemac575 macrumors regular

vemac575

If you're a beginner, and are low on funds, just get something like the Alesis Q49. What's your budget anyway? The M Audio Axiom is really nice. I have used the Axiom, the Q49, the Xkey, and am now on a Motor 49. I actually have another one for sale, if you're interested.

6. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

How much are you willing to spend on this keyboard and how many keys to you need? Also, Fatar and aftertouch doesn’t necessarily rhyme with “inexpensive”.

As you can see in my sig, I have an Arturia Keylab 88, which happens to have a Fatar keybed, aftertouch, the pads feel good, the keyboard itself has a great feel and response. For all its features it’s relatively cheap, but it all comes down to your budget I guess. When I bought it my two other options the Akai MPK 88 and NI’s S88. The Akai had a horrible and very noisy keybed, and the S88 was over my budget.

In the end I’m very happy with my purchase, the keylab 88 is the best controller I’ve ever owned.

7. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

M-Audio's Oxygen series, if you just want to get your toes wet.

Later, the possibilities are huge. I used to have Nektar Panorama P61, that one plays very nicely with Logic.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

I am looking to buy a Midi controller too.
    Yes, agree, the Axiom seems ideal but Axiom seems to be discontinued. No longer on the M Audio web site. The Motor49 looks great but, I want 25 keys.

9. vemac575 macrumors regular

vemac575

The Xkey is really good for a 25. If you want an all in one, go for the axiom 25 gen 2, even if used. It's worth it.

10. user_xyz macrumors regular

user_xyz

I just hooked up my old Roland A800-Pro.
    Works well with Garageband and Maps perfect-I'm Really surprised!! :rolleyes: