Good starter rifle?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by -Ryan-, Jan 12, 2010.

1. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Hello all,

I've just finished jumping through the hoops in order to get a firearms license here in the UK. I am a complete amateur when it comes to weaponry of any sort, however, for a few years I've wanted to learn how to shoot. I've got a few friends who own farms and go out shooting, and my intention is to eventually join them. Right now, I'm looking at just learning the basics of how to shoot. I'm looking for a good quality, budget rifle to start me off. It doesn't need to be high calibre or anything, just to get me started (shooting targets, and practise maintaining it etc). If anyone has any good suggestions please get back to me! Also, keep in mind that it must be available in the UK, as I don't know how to go about importing a gun, and would prefer to buy from a local gun shop. :)

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

I'd look into getting a an official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time.

I've heard good things about it.

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Ryan... good to hear from a fellow firearms enthusiast in the UK... in terms of your interest in a good quality budget rifle to start off, I would definiately turn to Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc., and try their No. 1 Standard Rifle, offered in a variety of calibers. On our side of the pond, Ruger is one of this nation's leading manufacturers of high-quality firearms for the commercial sporting market and their quality is top notch... you can't do better than a Ruger...

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Better be careful with that thing or you'll shoot your eye out!

5. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

A good starter rifle would be just about any .22 out there. Marlin makes a very nice .22 semi auto, in their Model 60, inexpensive and well built. Ruger makes a great little semi auto .22 in their 10/22, a little more expensive but built just as well. Remington makes quite a few different bolt action models that are top notch, a little more spendy but well worth it. It really depends on what you are looking for and how expensive ammo is. I have a 10/22 and it's a great little gun and very fun to shoot. I also have a Marlin, the quality is top notch and also very fun to shoot.