Good starter USB keyboard w/ extras

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by EmptyG, Jul 20, 2007.

1. EmptyG macrumors regular

Hi all :)

I have just completely been happy with using my guitar with GarageBand and want to use it a bit more. I am looking to get a keyboard to use with it. However, I'd like to try to get something I can use on it's own as well (rather than having to always hook it up to the Mac), and maybe even learn how to play on it a bit better (my piano skills are severely lacking at this point).

So ideally (in order of importance)...
    * USB keyboard (I like the Keystation 49e from M-Audio so far, but wish it had a way to play on it's own)
    * Standalone keyboard
    * Teaching tools (like a friend of mine's, will light up the keys to teach you how to play, etc.)

I know that sounds like a lot. Any ideas? Any help is welcome. As you can tell, I am pretty new to this stuff, as far as keyboards are concerned.

Thanks! :)

2. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

Wow that looks pretty nice. I just ordered the M-Audio 49e though, but may look into this one as well. Thanks for the reply! :)

3. JobsRules macrumors member

I have the M-Audio 88e. For sequencing it's very nice to have so many octaves liad out without having to switch around. As a keyboard to play (i'm just a self-tought/plonk by ear player) it's okay but can be a bit oversensitive, recording higher velocities than I sometimes want (although you can adjust this). Still, I got it ex-demo for a song so can't complain.