Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neocell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Great White North
I know there's lots of reviews and opinions about digital cameras here, but I wasn't sure how fast new models come out, and since I was wanting to get one for a friend for a B-day present I though I could call on you guys to give me a heads up. I was looking at something like the Nikon coolpix L1. Wanted a good CCD (high MP) and settings on a dial, so you don't have to pan through a whole bunch of LCD menu options to set up your shots. But I also want it to be fairly strong. I thought there were some Olympus ones released a while back that were completely water proof etc., so that would be cool.
My friend is taking a road trip across the country and I though this could be a good way to help document/remember it.
Any suggestions with the pros and cons would be great. Oh and the B-day is in the next couple of days, yeah I know I should have thought about this earlier

lynziwow

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
CALIIFORNIA
cameras

ever since my coolpix S1 was stolen I've been in the market for a new digi as well...

check out the Olympus Stylus 720 SW

the waterproof/shockproof features make it VERY appealing to me, although next time I think I want a camera with a viewfinder.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
lynziwow said:
ever since my coolpix S1 was stolen I've been in the market for a new digi as well...

check out the Olympus Stylus 720 SW

the waterproof/shockproof features make it VERY appealing to me, although next time I think I want a camera with a viewfinder.

I always tell people to go with the long-time camera makers, not with the consummer electronics makers who recently got into making camera. The reason is ergonomics.
Olymus, Nikon, Canon do well if you go with their mre advanced line of point and shoots. Each seems to make two lines nd "easy and small" line and one aimed at more advanced users. But be warned, buttons and knobs cost money to make -- that is way the cheaper camera put some much of the fuctions into the menu on the LCD.

Also you should not care to much about "megapixels" and you should care more about the quality of the optics. Optics is the leak link in most point and shoots

If you are worried abut water many of these camera have housings available. It would put you over buget but it's nice to have a camera you can set down in wet snow and mud and not have to worry about.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You went from $400 CDN to spending around $1000 on a Nikon D50? Wow, this friend must be incredibly special. :eek:

And if you wanted an Olympus, the SW model, which is shockproof and waterproof to 3 metres depth, would have been a good model. Not sure if it takes photos as good as the stand-alone models without the waterproofing and shockproofing, though. All the controls are in the menu (if I remember correctly), but there are other Olympus, Fuji, Pentax, and Canon options out there for $400.

But anyway, I guess all of this is moot if you already bought the gift.

Hope your friend enjoys the D50 as much as I do. :)

neocell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Abstract said:
You went from $400 CDN to spending around $1000 on a Nikon D50? Wow, this friend must be incredibly special. :eek:

And if you wanted an Olympus, the SW model, which is shockproof and waterproof to 3 metres depth, would have been a good model. Not sure if it takes photos as good as the stand-alone models without the waterproofing and shockproofing, though. All the controls are in the menu (if I remember correctly), but there are other Olympus, Fuji, Pentax, and Canon options out there for $400.

But anyway, I guess all of this is moot if you already bought the gift.

Hope your friend enjoys the D50 as much as I do. :)
Yeah, it was kind of a toss up. I just got my taxes back so I had a bit of cash but I wanted to use it for a trip in the summer. :eek:
We're both finishing up grad school now so I thought I could go whole hog and get the DSLR as a B-day/grad present. We've been best friends for over 20 years so yeah, what's a grand for a good friend. :)
Thought it would be a bit stupid to "waste" $400 on a camera that wasn't really what was wanted. At least now I got what was wanted and there'll always be more money later, at least the gift will be well used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.