Good Sync Program that is not MobileMe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, May 17, 2010.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have two Macbook Pros that I regularly use, one for high performance and the other for battery life. I need a good, thorough, reliable program that will scan my computers for changes and transfer new files. I usually end up making several documents in one school day, and it's been getting irritating using a USB drive. When I don't do this for a while, I usually have 50-100 files that I end up transferring with Time Machine. Please help. Thank you!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Have you heard of Dropbox yet? They give you 2GB of storage for free, and you can increase it if needed (although there's a cost if you need to do that). Anything you put into your Dropbox folder will be synced across all your computers at all times, instantly. Mac or PC. And you can even access those files off the web.

P.S. When you recommend Dropbox to others, you get more storage space for free. Which is exactly what I did. :)

3. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

5. mclaugaa macrumors newbie

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Nexus One Build/EPE54B) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I second and personally use/love dropbox, but there's also sugarsync. It's pretty good too.

7. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Nexus One Build/EPE54B) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I second and personally use/love dropbox, but there's also sugarsync. It's pretty good too.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Mesh.com does the same thing. It's what I use, I like it.

9. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Drop box drop box drop box!!!!!

Reliable, fast and free if you are mainly using word documents 2gb is fine.

MobileMe is terrible. I had it, and the iDisk is unreliable, is down much more than what I've experience with drop box. I don't think I've experienced errors with drop box but I always experienced issues when the iDisk would not upload or something.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use ChronoSync to synchronize my iTunes library between my laptop and desktop.

I also use it to synchronize mail and such.

Dropbox does the smaller files and such.

(I use MobileMe to synchronize everything preferences, contacts, calendar, etc., so I wouldn't know what to recommend otherwise)