Good text editor?

Captnroger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2002
184
0
Can anyone recommend a good text editor for OS X? I do quite a bit of php coding, and need a good ASCII editor. Is BBEdit the best choice?
 

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
455
1
Chicago, IL
Re: Good text editor?

Originally posted by Captnroger
Can anyone recommend a good text editor for OS X? I do quite a bit of php coding, and need a good ASCII editor. Is BBEdit the best choice?
I use BBEdit for C++ and Java programming. It's the best that I've tried so far.

Draft
 

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
610
0
Michigan
i use bbedit for all of my php/mysql & web development... it's perfect in many aspects... i especially love the ftp client that's built in. i absolutely adore the creators of bbedit for their incredible text tools (finding missing brackets, etc)

you can't go wrong with bbedit

oh one more thing to note... maccentral had an article about how bbedit is 20 or 30 dollars cheaper because of a back to school special... you definitely should look into it
 

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
215
1
Milwaukee, WI
Another one in favor of BBEdit. While I do development of regular web pages in Dreamweaver MX or GoLive 6 (depending on the site), I do all the PHP stuff in BBEdit, it's just plain nicer to use.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
14,055
64
Lard
Originally posted by topicolo
Isn't there a version of Emacs on OS X yet? Emacs kicks ass and it has the word 'mac' in it :)
There's plenty of emacs available. I use it quite a bit, especially when I'm nostalgic. We could use a version of Xemacs for Aqua--Aquaemacs--well maybe not.

If you have to use a text editor which allows macros in LISP, what else would you choose? :D
 

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
1,187
0
SFBA
i use bbedit for php and it works great

don't forget to save w/ unix line breaks (set the prefs) or else error messages will display improper line numbers (i think other things don't work right with mac line breaks, too).
 

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
854
5
CA
The only this I miss is UltraEdit for Mac OS X

I use UtltraEdit at work on a windoze pc ..that is one of the best editor i have seen .. now i am happy with Project Builder in Mac OS X.
 

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
718
0
Hong Kong
can bbedit work with system files (i.e. .htaccess)? i find this a huge downfall with many text editors...

i mostly use pico within the terminal.. its a pain in the azz but it gets the job done.
 

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
610
0
Michigan
Originally posted by firewire2001
can bbedit work with system files (i.e. .htaccess)? i find this a huge downfall with many text editors...

i mostly use pico within the terminal.. its a pain in the azz but it gets the job done.
yes it does work with those files... use "open hidden" or if you're connecting with bbedit's ftp client check the item thats say something like "show fils with dot in front"

i've used it many times with .htaccess files and have had no problems yet
 

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
718
0
Hong Kong
Originally posted by kishba


yes it does work with those files... use "open hidden" or if you're connecting with bbedit's ftp client check the item thats say something like "show fils with dot in front"

i've used it many times with .htaccess files and have had no problems yet
wow. even an ftp feature? im gonna go dl a trial.. my dad used to use bbedit to a long while ago, but it wasnt nearly as full featured then.. but now it sounds really cool.. im prolly gonna end up buying it.. thanks... :)
 

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
610
0
Michigan
Originally posted by firewire2001


wow. even an ftp feature? im gonna go dl a trial.. my dad used to use bbedit to a long while ago, but it wasnt nearly as full featured then.. but now it sounds really cool.. im prolly gonna end up buying it.. thanks... :)
the trial doesn't have the ftp client built in sadly... but you mihgt want to look into that back to school discount ... i think it expires on sept 30 but i'm not sure
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.