Good Time for an Apple TV?

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
What do you think guys? With the Apple Media event purportedly less than two weeks away, should I go ahead and get an Apple TV, or wait till the event? No one has talked about the Apple TV being updated for the event, but I have to wonder...

jfleming40

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
I just picked one up on Amazon. They did have them marked down to $89.99 which could mean a new model was coming.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
For those who have a decent-sized iTunes library and/or a Netflix Instant Queue, it's always a good time for an :apple:tv. I have two, and my whole family uses them often.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Thanks guys.

BTW, how does the Airplay mirroring work from a Mac to an Apple TV. I know I have a supported iMac. But how does it work- Does it just mirror content on the Mac display? I assume it also transmits sound as well, no? Could I put up, say, a movie via VLC and watch it on the Apple TV?

jdblas69

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Thanks guys.

BTW, how does the Airplay mirroring work from a Mac to an Apple TV. I know I have a supported iMac. But how does it work- Does it just mirror content on the Mac display? I assume it also transmits sound as well, no? Could I put up, say, a movie via VLC and watch it on the Apple TV?
Yes it does as you say it is a exact mirror of what is currently showing on your Mac. So if you are playing a movie then yes it will display the same as on your Mac. Sound as well.

I never realized how useful Airplay mirroring would be until last night the wife and I had a letter to type up and instead me trying to lean and see the screen on her MBA we just airplayed to the TV and worked on it.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Yes it does as you say it is a exact mirror of what is currently showing on your Mac. So if you are playing a movie then yes it will display the same as on your Mac. Sound as well.
That is a killer app for me. Thank you for confirming. I will see how a bluetooth keyboard and mouse setup works with this as well.

It took me to till this tidbit to decide to order. I certainly hope it isn't wrong, because I'll be very disappointed if I could've gotten a better device by waiting a week or so. I usually take a long to time to upgrade and keep my devices for a long time, so it isn't trivial for me.

But I can't really see much in this area developing right now either, so I figure it's a pretty safe bet.