Good time for refurb?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dnix, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Dnix macrumors 6502

$1359 for a 27-inch. No it doesn't have USB 3, glare dissipation, or a "5mm edge". But could this possibly be the best time ever to get a 27-inch iMac? :eek:

Is the new revision really all that great?

Attached Files:

2. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

Sounds good to me. I paid ~$950 for a 2.5 21.5" in April '12. Coulddn't tll all of the specs, but I did see it had a 1 TB drive.

3. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

I say go for it. I did the same thing. I just bought the 27" 3.1ghz $1599 one today :D :cool:

4. element1108 macrumors member

The 256 SSD drive got picked up today. It was up with a 250 reduction in price just after the event. Not many options left unfortunately.

5. Dnix thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean? Once they disappear, it's for good?

How much was this particular model?

6. Black Diesel macrumors member

It was $2039 and they are gone, for now. I noticed most iMac refurb models disappeared, only a few left.

7. element1108 macrumors member

What he said, I had it in my cart a few times over the past few weeks. Wasn't sure the 256 GB drive would be enough with windows 7 partition (don't ask) and my editing/compositing software.

Keeping my eye on returns though until more info comes available.

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

People are snatching them up as they become available.

I am happier than a witch in a broom factory that I did not wait for this new one .... it's doesn't do anything for me, but the one I have now has made me more than enough $$$$$ to buy another one!

9. Miat, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

Miat macrumors 6502

Now is an excellent time to be picking up refurbs. :)

10. Black Diesel macrumors member

How much does apple charge to install a 256ssd into a 27" iMac?

11. Dnix thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah so... at first I was very excited about this price. I'm not so sure now.

The difference between this 2011 refurb, and the analogous new education priced (or refurb) is about ~ $350. After taxes, before any kind of mods / upgrades.

For that $350, I'm getting:

• Thinner profile with no optical drive (good)
    • Faster USB 3 interface for thumbdrives, DVD drive enclosure
    • Redesigned LCD panel attached to glass (less chance dust if I open)
    • 75% less reflection
    • Sweet redesign of internals, similar to Retina Macbook
    • Newer graphics
    • A little extra RAM
    • Whatever else I missed

Had they bumped up the resolution (or even just aspect ratio) the deal would be sealed. But the other upgrades in and of themselves may be worth the extra cash. I don't think a so-called "Retina" iMac will come around for a while?

I don't know... :(

12. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

I was able to use government discount on my iMac refurb. Was $100 off so maybe student discount applies worth checking

13. Dnix thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not seeing any price decrease on refurbs, from the education store. Lucky you, I am not affiliated with the government in any way!

14. DF1234 macrumors newbie

I just bought a refurb 3.4 I7. It came with a 2TB hard drive, 2048 MB of video ram, and 8 GB of ram for $1,789. If you had specked this out two days ago it would have cost about $2,500. It is more than I will need for the next two or three years and looks brand new. I was going to buy the 2012 but didn't want to wait till at least December plus saved over $800.

15. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

I had to call them to get discount wont show on site

----------

U get that on apple refurb site ?

16. DF1234 macrumors newbie

Yes, you have to keep looking as they come and go quickly. I looked yesterday morning and there wasn't any, then looked at 2:00 PM and saw one so I quickly ordered it and had it delivered today. In fact I just looked and they are back on the site again.

17. Dnix thread starter macrumors 6502

18. primalman macrumors 6502a

I today just ordered the refurb iMac 27" 3.4Ghz i7 with the 1TB drive and 1GB video. I have a grant that expires late November with all paperwork in by Dec 1, so I could not wait for the new 27" to be available. Oh well. I feel pretty good about the purchase, as the refurb was $100 cheaper today than it was before the announcement. Saves me like $600+ with the upgrades I would have added on the new one. Been waiting since June to get basically the same thing just cheaper! :p

Apple sometimes gives you upgraded stuff like the drive size, RAM and video memory if that particular machine is in the stock at that moment, but usually there is no guarantee. Here's hoping! :)

19. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

I got the exact same spec iMac in Feb this year, it was supposed to be 1TB HD 4GBram and 1GBvram but ended up being all upgraded and it was only a month since manufacture.

I assume that it was a BTO that was never collected and thus gets put straight back into refurb.

20. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Either way you will love it!! I got the same one and I don't regret it one bit. In fact I'm burning a new final cut project on DVD right now suck that 2012 waiters lol jk

21. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

Update!
    I received my refurb imac today!
    3.1 GHz i5
    4 GB ram
    1TB hard drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB
    these were the original specs. It came with twice the ram! :eek: I was really pleased with that! 8 Gb of ram now! :D :cool: It also shipped with ML. Everything else seems as stated so far.

I am loving it so far! very pleased with this decision. :)

22. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

23. desantim macrumors newbie

I went for the 3.4 i7 256 ssd 27" less than 15 minutes after the apple announcement ended. I got the machine today set it all up came with 10.8 and it's definitely an upgrade. I had a c2d 27" imac, bought a quad mac Pro threw in an ssd and 16 gigs of ram and needed a cooler running rig for my small office. I'm extremely pleased to go back to the 27" screen I forgot how beautiful they are...

24. MontanaApple macrumors newbie

25. vw1300 macrumors newbie

Agreed that it's a good time to pick up a refurb, especially if you are one of those people who still use an optical drive from time to time. Our iMac is our only computer for a family of 4, so we do use our DVD drive frequently.

I bought one of the 21" base model refurbs last night - savings are not on the order of those who buy 27" refurbs, but still significant in light of the price hike on the new base model. I would have liked the new non-reflective screen and USB 3, but not enough to pay $320 more.

There is also the issue of the dreaded Rev A syndrome, where freshly redesigned iMacs sometimes have issues that were not worked out during development. I got burned by this when the original G5 iMac was introduced. I bought one, and we had all kinds of problems with the motherboard and oozing capacitors. This was common with those early G5s. I'm not sure I want another Rev A iMac, which was another factor influencing my decision on the refurb.

Charlie