Good time to buy 64GB Models

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Shawn D, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Shawn D macrumors regular

Now and after the iPad 3 is released will be a great time to buy older more expensive models. For instance I just picked up a 64GB 3G iPad 1 for $300 shipped on eBay.

I'm sure it will be worth less after March 7th but I plan to buy the newest version and resell it on eBay like I do with iPhones

Anyone else taking advantage of everyone unloading there iPad or is everyone holding out for the iPad 3

2. JPark macrumors 6502a

No, everyone else is unloading their iPads. :)

3. homeboy macrumors 6502

At the end of next week the 64Gb iPad will be worth $300 so I'd say you pulled the trigger to early.

4. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I think it's safe to say that you're the only one.

iPad 1 is going to be ancient once the 3 comes out. But good luck. :)

5. iEvolution macrumors 65816

if all you are doing is playing video, audio and some browsing the ipad 1 will be fine for these uses 5 years down the road.

I think the majority of new apps will still run through this year too. Unless he needs the retina display or wants plenty of power to run cpu intensive apps the ipad 1 is going to be fine.

That being said I would have waited for the ipad 3 to come out and get pricing lower for refurb units from Apple of the ipad 2.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

If you buy a cheap 3G iPad with no data plan, can you use it as a navigation system in your car?
    That would require a navigation app that downloads and saves all the maps and data, but the GPS would still be accurate right? I'm considering finding a cheap 3G iPad 1 to keep in my car as a nav system.

7. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

No doubt about it, but will someone want to pay more than $300 for it when they can get an iPad 2 for a bit more? I doubt it.

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Obviously the best time would be after the iPad 3 release, when the original iPad should appear as an ancient toy.

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Thats doable!

10. Kendo macrumors 68000

I dunno. It is starting to lag when browsing the simplest of websites for me. As iOS evolves and requires more power to run efficiently, that is less processing power for the actual browsing. Kind of like how iPhone 3G runs terribly now, even if all you want to do is browse and talk. I say get the iPad 2 as a bare minimum and skip the original. Prices for the iPad 2 will drop like a rock anyway.

11. homeboy macrumors 6502

That's an over complication. It would be bulky, need a GPS receiver anyways and an overpriced App. A TomTom would be quicker, more efficient, work offline but also be a slimmer solution that's easier to tuck away.

Buying an iPad to use as car navigation is like buying an oven for toasting slices of bread. It works but there are simpler solutions.

12. maclook macrumors 65816

Eh, that's subjective. I have a Garmin and my iPhone. The Garmin has crap software and a crap touchscreen. I'd rather use my dumb iPhone maps app.
    I'm not looking for simpler. I'm looking for bigger. I want the iPad as a big map.

13. urkel macrumors 68030

The number of used iPads being sold due to rumors was big. Then that number grew due to an invitation. So what do you think will happen when an actually update is announced and price drops for older models emerge?

I think that once all the news is out then a 64GB iPad 1 will be easy to find for cheap. I plan on getting one for my little girl because all I need is video playback and I already got an otter box defender case for it.

14. homeboy macrumors 6502

Used iPad 1 models won't be far off the price of a new iPod Touch so I will likely sniff out to desperate sellers and buy my mother one.

15. Shawn D thread starter macrumors regular

I just want something to use until the iPad 3 comes out. If I get the chance to buy more than one- There would be a possibility of me keeping one. But who's to say the price drop on the iPad 2 will really be worth it? The 16gb WiFi might be cheaper but I need 3G and more space than that. Apple isn't going to cut those prices in half

16. taylortm macrumors member

17. stfwayne macrumors regular

I think you overpaid sorry to say.

Check ebay and especially CRAIGSLIST

On Craigs ive seen numerous listings for:

iPad 2 16GB wifi - 300-350

iPad 2 32GB wifi - 400

ipad 2 64GB wifi - 450

Meanwhile ive seen original ipad 64gb for 250-275

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

19. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yup. Funny enough I used the Tom Tom app with 3G to navigate several times on road trips. No data plan required.