Good time to buy a hexacore MP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by osxabsd, Feb 1, 2011.

1. osxabsd macrumors member

I know, "Its always a good time to buy a mac!"

Given SandyBridge arriving soon, Intel's current woes, etc., is this a good time to get a Rev.D. MP with a hexacore? A "bad time" would be that there is something coming within the next 3 months.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Go for it. Given that the average time for a refresh is a year or more, you have probably 8 months or so before new stuff is out.

3. phairphan, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

Nobody knows for certain, but alust2013 is probably right. I don't believe the Sandy Bridge version of the Xeon has been released and the multiprocessor versions of the CPU aren't due until much later in the year. I doubt Apple would update the single processor MPs independently of the dual processor MPs. Buy away.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

5. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I don't think the current line-up = good value.

Personally I won't be looking until the MP picks up some faster external connectors as standard. LP, FW3200, and/or USB3 etc.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

LP implementation is more than vague at this point (I don't expect early implementations before 2013), FW3200 is dead, and the MP already supports USB 3.0. I've got it in my Pro.

7. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Get it now, the current one is great. I don't think MP will get an update anytime soon...

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Get one. I ADORE mine! Also if you want connectors that are faster you just buy a card and shove in it.

9. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I don't agree.

I really feel that apple are pushing forward with some come of hybrid memory that will show up across all computer lines.

I am confident that we have not heard all that we have about flash memory. It offers many advantages that a desktop computer could use.

I would like to see some kind of flash incorporated in the mac pro.

10. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I actually don't really know what you're talking about, I suspect you mean SSD storage, though.

Given that the Mac Pro features upgradable hard drive bays, SSD's have never been a problem in the Mac Pro. You can even get them directly from Apple via BTO.

However, the reason why there won't be any upgrades till late this year, or early next year (which is what I believe too), is the fact that suitable Sandy Bridge CPU's for the Mac Pro won't be available till then, and there is certainly no reason for "upgrading" the machine with the same processor line we've got today.

11. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq