Good time to buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greyhoundrick, Apr 18, 2012.

  1. greyhoundrick macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #1
    Hello everyone,

    Please excuse me if this question has been answered elsewhere, but i could not find it.....

    I just purchased a MacBook Pro 15" special order machine which is supposed to be delivered in about 10 days. I ordered it online.

    Is my timing ok or should i have waited for a newer model? Im not sure whether the model i ordered is going to be outdated very soon or if it is the newest release. Again, i ordered it a couple of days ago from the Apple Store.

    Thanks for helping me. Im a newbie and i apologize if this question has been asked before.

    my best to you,

    rick
     
  2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

    JoshGlzBrk

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
  3. greyhoundrick thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #3
    Thanks for the response.

    According to the way it appears, i think this is the new one, no?

    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
     
  4. blazeken996 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2009
    #4
    The new one is coming out with Ivy Bridge. Which is slated to be launched next monday.
     
  5. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

    dlimes13

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Perrysburg, OH
    #5
    The new one's are not out yet. Intel will be releasing new processors for laptops next week. Is it expected Apple will refresh the 15" MacBook Pro within a month or less. I would cancel your order and wait, more for your money and it won't cost you any extra more than likely. You won't see anything about the new MacBook Pro on Apple's website until they actually are released for sale.
     
  6. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    #6
    Nah. Apple just likes the word "new". Some online ads still refer to the "New Mac Pro" even though it hasn't been updated in nearly two years.
     
  7. greyhoundrick thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #7
    Thanks very much blazeken996, dlimes13 and ThunderSnake. I really appreciate it.

    Im sure there are advantages in waiting. If i dont will i be making a big mistake in your opinion?

    Im going to be using the MacBook Pro for photo processing (Capture NX2 and Photoshop CS5). I ordered the fastest processor, 8 GIG RAM and the 7200 rpm hard drive.

    Sorry to bother you with this but can you tell me the main compromises i will be making if i dont wait?

    Thanks for helping me and again, please excuse my lack of knowledge.

    my best,

    rick
     
  8. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    #8
    If I could, I'd probably wait. The current line is a fine product, but you'll likely be able to get a faster and more energy efficient CPU (among other things) in the not too distant future for about the same price (or a better deal on current models).
     
  9. jacob-07 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 14, 2011
    #9
    With waiting you have the benefits of seeing what's new and can decide if the new one is for you. Even after the new one is released and decide you prefer the previous model, you will be able to get it much cheaper than what they sell for now. Just my opinion, decision is ultimately yours.
     
  10. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

    dlimes13

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Perrysburg, OH
    #10
    The benefits of waiting:

    Better CPU, video card, and possibly better design for the exact same price.

    OR

    The model you bought, will be less ($100-$400ish) less when the new ones are out.

    Either way, more bang for your buck or more bucks to keep!
     
  11. greyhoundrick, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

    greyhoundrick thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #11
    Thank you Jacob-07 for joining in. You folks are great! I appreciate your expertise.

    Do you think the display capabilities will be improved in terms of resolution, sharpness, appearance etc. or do you think the improvements will be mostly speed, weight, battery life and machine temp? Do you think the new MBP will have a retina display?

    thanks! :)
     
  12. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    #12
    There will be a guaranteed increase in speed.
    There's a chance of improved display, but it's really anybody's guess.

    Like the others said, waiting would be best. If nothing else, you will save money by waiting since the current models will drop in price once the new ones are released.
     
  13. bobcan macrumors 6502a

    bobcan

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny but Cold.. Canada
    #13
    Tuesdays.. I have always had good luck Buying on Tuesdays..

    But in ALL seriousness, I think you ALWAYS must decide for yourself When you NEED it and Why.. You can Always wait for the 'next great thing' and accordingly NOT be doing meaningful, or "Money Making Work" with it, if that is the case.. Processors, RAM and SSD's are constantly reducing in price; again, BUY it when you need it, or you will go crazy thinking about it, and watching the price go down, until ANOTHER better one comes out!! :rolleyes:

    I have been through 3x MBP's since my first generation one in 2006.. Each of the previous ones I sold to friends, and they still worked well, I just wanted to Upgrade.. The last one I bought as a 'refurb' mid-2011.. Saved ~15% and it works perfectly for me.. Will for another 2-3 years likely.. Good Luck and no matter what I am sure you will enjoy what you buy.. :apple:
     
  14. edk99 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Location:
    FL
    #14
    Why didn't you ask this question FIRST before ordering? :confused::confused::confused:
     
  15. greyhoundrick thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #15
    Thank you all again for helping me with your great expertise!

    I can only claim ignorance as to why i didnt ask this question before i ordered. I have learned in photography that there is always something better just around the corner and sometimes you can literally drive yourself nuts waiting. In retrospect i probably should have waited, but the people at the Apple Store here in Phoenix told me that i can exchange it in 30 days no questions asked if a new release comes out so i think im ok.

    The only real deal killer for me would be the retina display. If that is part of the new MBP 15" i will probably exchange it. What do you think? Will the new one have the retina display in your opinion?

    thanks,
    rick
     
  16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #16
    The Macbook Pro that you ordered was last refreshed in October 2011.

    Newer models are expected to be released within a month.

    Even if the newer models don't offer anything that would interest you, you could very likely find one of the 2011 models that suites your needs for a discount in the refurbished section of the Apple online store after the new models are released.
     
  17. chilly7 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
  18. Speedyparker87 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago
    #18
    I think if the new MBP does have a retina display, then it won't be announced until WWDC in June. If it's just the faster processor, then we could expect it later April/early May.
     
  19. SkriBlerLenZ macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2012
    Location:
    "In my bedroom" -Mum
    #19
    Sorry for butting in late, but while we're all on the subject of Macbook Pros and their release - is it highly likely they'll be coming out this month? Or no?

    Cult of Mac, 9 to 5 Mac, and all those places seem to think so - but I'm just curious as to other peoples opinions :)

    ----------


    Haha you just answered my question xD
     
  20. user418 macrumors 6502a

    user418

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    #20
    Anytime is a good time to buy a Mac. Whether it's the newest model or the one it's replacing you're getting a fantastic piece of machinery. The decision ultimately depends on individual needs. Do what you feel is best in your personal situation.
     
  21. greyhoundrick thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #21
    Well my friends, as much as it pained me, i just called Apple and cancelled my order.

    I want to thank all of you for helping me with this. As hard as it will be to wait i truly think that i will be glad i did.

    Thanks again for your great comments and advice :)

    my best,

    rick
     
  22. ThunderSnake, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

    ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    #22
    For now, to help you with the wait, maybe you can get these folks in Australia to send you some of this. At least you'll be able to get a scent of the new Macbook Pro experience this way--enough to tide you over for a few weeks.
     
  23. greyhoundrick thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #23
    ThunderSnake, that is AMAZING!! lol

    Thanks for sharing!

    Well, for now i will be using our youngest daughters MBP (when i can sneak it away from her) and just waiting it out. Im hoping it will be by June or before and maybe a retina display??

    take care :)
     
  24. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    #24
    Glad you decided to cancel. Since it was a special order machine, I don't think it has the exchange period which you previously listed. I jumped onto this thread late, but waiting is the smart move. I have an almost 5 year MBP that I am eagerly waiting to replace! I hope they announce them soon.
     

Share This Page