Good time to buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by guycarmeli, Apr 9, 2013.

1. guycarmeli macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I've noticed the MBP should be getting a refresh soon, and I was wondering if purchasing the current model (as it recently got a price drop) would be a wise choice.
    I know this is speculative, but do new models usually get the same price as their former models, or would they initially be more expensive?

(One of my considerations to prefer the current model is based on the assumption that the next models would be Retina only - meaning less expandable/configurable)

Thanks!

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

New models are typically the same price as the ones they replace. If you are willing to buy refurbished, the price of the current generation refurbished models will drop when the new generation comes out.

3. jobush macrumors member

I would advise against it at this point of the year unless you need. I personally think that the next refresh will happen between this may and 2013 WWDC (Which is usually held at July)

Once the refresh arrives, you can make your descision. If the new ones are worth it, get the new ones; if they're not (like say, they all have the not-so-friendly form factor), the older ones would be even cheaper by then.

4. guycarmeli thread starter macrumors newbie

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Have to disagree with the poster above you-jobush, they probably will not release any updated Mac's until after July, reason is there is a bug in Intel's Haswell CPU's and the second batch without this back won't be released after 31 July, actually you can expect them before but the change you get one with the bug is there, not after July 31.
    So, I guess Apple will wait for that.

6. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

That's why I bought a refurb cMBP and also because 2012 was the debut year of the rMBP. I'm hoping that this year Apple will have ironed out the bugs with the display. I would be hopping mad if I paid that much money for the nirvana of retina and mine was one with the burn in issues.

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

Historically Apples second gen products are well sorted & worth waiting for.