good time to buy a macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mmark, Jun 29, 2008.

1. mmark macrumors newbie

i might buy a macbook today, but should i wait for the update?
    i was planning to but the blackbook but if the white one ends up looking better (and still cheaper) i might get it, lol.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How do these people keep missing this advice over and OVER? There needs to be a banner, not a post, at the top of the Buying Tips forum and maybe on each product forum that says:

If you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait, do. It's already good enough for everything you're doing.

Slightly better CPU, better IGPU, bigger HDD, same RAM, no redesign, no aluminum. If that's a good enough reason to wait, do.

3. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Well, I'm buying a BlackBook this week, so I say go for it!

Enjoy your new Mac. I know I'll enjoy mine.

Dæmon

4. rtmadden macrumors regular

Who said no redesign, no aluminum?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I did, because I don't believe it. If there is going to be move to aluminum, it'll be 100% with Nehalem.

6. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Common sense, if the MacBook Pro design has lasted this long (Since the PowerBook G4 in 2003) - thats six years - then the MacBook isn't going to be redesigned for a while. A long while. Its only existed for what, two years now?

7. rtmadden macrumors regular

I unfortunately agree with both of you. However, making absolute statements just isn't the move. Let's just agree on a high probability for no redesign.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you don't expect something at all, you won't be disappointed (and make stupid threads about how you didn't get what you "deserve").

If it does happen, you'll be happier because you didn't expect it. That's how I go into Apple product updates.

There will always be things that we know about the next update, such as CPU clocks and larger HDDs, but getting into absolutes about things that MAY happen (redesign/change of material) is foolish.

9. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

Wait until the fall

I usually wait until the fall to see if there will be some new/upgrade. Usually this time frame is when Apple makes announcements. If you can wait until then (not too far off) it may be worth it.

10. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I will wait as long as I have to before my school year starts before I buy my MacBook. If you buy before something gets changed, you will always have a feeling inside about wishing you had waited that extra week. :)

11. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

This article [ http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._to_see_major_design_changes_sources_say.html ] has a source claiming the MacBook will soon see a redesign in the Air and iMac style. That's with aluminium rather than plastic, which I think is far more attractive than the present plastic.

I'm hoping there is a nice aluminium MacBook around the corner - I currently have a PC, but after a recent visit to London's Apple Store, I have completely changed my opinion!

12. dino0829 macrumors member

Waiting until after 3G

Hey gang,
    Not sure if it will make a difference or not, but I'm going to give it until after July 11, after iPhone 3G's grand entrance, to order the MacBook (black or 2.4 white/250gb upgrade). I figure if Steve was going to release a redesign, he'd wait until after that. And you guys really don't think it's going to be aluminum, with all the heat Apple's taking for not being 'green' enough? I don't see any way it's NOT an aluminum upgrade. So I'll give it to the middle of next month. Either way, it's a win-win.

13. Jman14 macrumors 6502

14. R34 macrumors newbie

You can claim anything on the internet, it doesn't make it true. I would love it if they did, but I think they will keep the MB and MBP seperate. Since apple keeps its looks at a high priority, I think that the aluminum of the "Pro" is one of it's biggest defining factors. It makes it look as if it is for professional use.

I'm going to be picking up an iMac and MB soon. My current Dell Laptop has a screen that bleeds at the bottom, overheats to the point that the processor shuts down at times, internal speakers don't work, headphone jack only works if you push it hard in one direction (and only through one side of the headphones), AC jack about to break off inside, and doesn't have the speed that i need to run my recording software smoothly...But i'm still waiting out for a refresh.

At the rate apple updates their hardware you can play the waiting game forever, always just waiting for the next best thing. Do as other say, If you absolutely need it, buy it, if not, wait it out. It all is coming down to NEED vs. WANT

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Exactly. Hence the coining of the phrase: Pics or it didn't happen.

Just like I'll be putting a link to the YouTube video of my Nehalem Mac Pro and Nehalem MacBook Pro unboxings.

16. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

SEARCH!
    SEARCH!
    SEARCH!
    the three most important things you can do on these forums

17. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK