Good time to buy a MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by orbit77, Apr 7, 2009.

1. orbit77 macrumors newbie

So I've been pondering a mac for over a year now...but seriously considering it for a few months.

Ultimately I've been waiting for a macbook update. I'm some what sold on the mid range macbook, the unibody with the 2.0 ghz cpu. The "buyers guide" (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook) said don't buy, end of cycle until April 1st. After the "rumors" on April 1st from HardMac saying there were going to be updates in September (of which didn't explicitly say the macbook was getting updated, and also weren't even confirmed), now the buyers guide displays mid cycle...I'm assuming that's taking into account that they believe there won't be updates until September.

I need this for iphone dev...and I need it within the next month-ish. I'm tempted to buy a mini...but I could really use the portability of a notebook.

What are your thoughts on the timing of the next update?

Also, when did they start the back-to-school promotion last year? Any thoughts on what/when it will be in 2009?

2. IrishSniper87 macrumors regular

Well, the next update is anyones guess. Rumors surrounding the notebooks are not particularly exciting right now, leading many to believe their is not an update coming until they update the processors in Fall after Back-to-school season.

I say go for the low end MacBook now, rather then the mini. However, Snow Leopard is probably slated for September (speculation) so be forewarned. Also, I am unsure when the back to school thing starts, but I'd guess June-July ish. Your probably better off getting a refurb 2.0 now unless you need/want the ipod or printer.

Refurb 2.0 Unibody is like $1100

3. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

My thought was that you'll see a CPU uptick and that's about it. The Unibody design is relatively new so don't expect anything to change there.

If you need it, buy it now. I don't see any revolutions in the MB world any time soon.

4. labyrinth23 macrumors newbie

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

May and November have been fairly consistent over the last few years. IMO, most likely see an update in the next 6 weeks but it will be minor.

6. vilim12 macrumors regular

I just went and ordered one 3 days ago. I dont think there will be any crazy updates anytime soon. I would go ahead and say you attend a university and get the 2.0 for around 1200 if im not mistaken? Its only a 100 bucks more and you get new instead of a refurb.

7. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

I've just pulled the trigger on a 2.0 macbook - as someone from outside the US, even if an update came (likely to be cpu to either 2.16 or 2.27 GHz), the price would most likely rocket in the UK as the macbook is still based on ~$1.8 to the £ - it's now $1.45 to the £ so a £929 laptop is likely to rise to over £1000. We saw it with the "cheaper imacs" last month and I'm gussing we'll see it with the macbook bumps.