Good time to buy a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uwdude, Jul 16, 2014.

1. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry for using a brand new account, but my current account (freediverdude) has an icloud password (you know the one with the 16 digits and dashes), and I'm on a windows machine currently and therefore cannot post with that, lol.

Anyway, I'm wondering about buying an Apple laptop (I currently only have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones that I am using, no computer). Is it a good time to buy a MBP base model? I'm also wondering about maybe one of the new Airs instead, because my use case may fit the Air better, but I do like the retina screen when I compared them in the Apple store last night.

What I am planning to do with it is mostly set it on a small table next to a futon while I watch TV in the evenings, maybe use it on my lap also. It's not very likely to be used for much travel or work. So yes, the Pro might be a little overkill for my uses, but wow that screen is gorgeous. I don't know what to do, lol Any insights?

2. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

For a MBP - yes. Chances are high, that the baseline MBP is discontinued and there is a shift to Retina only MBP's.

If you are looking toward a MBPR one should probably wait until September.

The MBA received a update two or three months ago.

Considering your planed use I would go for a MBA 13.

3. uwdude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually I meant base Macbook Pro Retina, yes. I'm not considering the older one without retina, knowing that's going by the wayside. Is the September refresh going to be large? I was approved for the interest free financing, so while I could wait until Sept., I might not get the interest free if I wait that long, hmm.

4. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

The September refresh may not even happen.

If it does it will be a minor speed bump and possibly $100 off.

The next proper revision of the retina MBP won't happen until Broadwell CPUs are available, which will be in May/June 2015.

If you are looking at a retina MBP today, then it's not a bad time to buy (especially if you pick up a refurb) since major changes are extremely unlikely for at least 8 or 9 months.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I have the base model rMBP and it is great. I use it casually like you would, and the display is worth the difference in price. Plus if you buy refurb, you will save a couple of hundred dollars. As stated, any refresh at all in 2014 will be a very minor spec bump. Buy now and enjoy now!