Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
It's not a dual core, its a DP system - the dual-core systems have a large BT AE antenna, two ethernet jacks...that picture is not of a DC system, which means I'd run away.

The RAM speed is wrong, too.

I think this guy would love to steal your money. :D

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
No, The powermac will be upgraded to the Intel chipset within the next couple months. That's no rumor either, Senor Jobs himself said that all macs would be upgraded to Intel within 2006 and the PowerMac is the only one left to be upgraded...right?

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Donz0r said:
That's no rumor either, Senor Jobs himself said that all macs would be upgraded to Intel within 2006 and the PowerMac is the only one left to be upgraded...right?

As far as I can tell, that leaves him about five months to make good on his promise. Then there's the consideration of the user's software needs (is it available in UB yet). Overall, if he needs a fast computer for non-UB software NOW, it looks like a pretty good deal to me. I haven't even seen the single 1.6 go for that cheap.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
Makes me wonder what the catch is. The 1.6 ghz first run models are running for about $900-1000. If that indeed it a dualcore (which it probably isnt, the dualcores wont run 10.2 to the best of my knowledge), then something is probably wrong with it. If it is the 1.6 ghz model then it still is a good deal.

As for whether or not you should buy a G5, I think that given the current Mac market, that it would be a good idea. You aren't going to find as much bang for your buck if you are doing processor intensive stuff. Maybe next year when CS3 comes out then it will be different. What good is a Merom processor if all the apps are running in Rosetta. Plus with all the MacBook problems, I'd steer clear of the first run of MacPros.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
baleensavage said:
Makes me wonder what the catch is. The 1.6 ghz first run models are running for about $900-1000. If that indeed it a dualcore (which it probably isnt, the dualcores wont run 10.2 to the best of my knowledge), then something is probably wrong with it. If it is the 1.6 ghz model then it still is a good deal.

As for whether or not you should buy a G5, I think that given the current Mac market, that it would be a good idea. You aren't going to find as much bang for your buck if you are doing processor intensive stuff. Maybe next year when CS3 comes out then it will be different. What good is a Merom processor if all the apps are running in Rosetta. Plus with all the MacBook problems, I'd steer clear of the first run of MacPros.

It's not real, that's the catch. ;)

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
iGary said:
It's not a dual core, its a DP system - the dual-core systems have a large BT AE antenna, two ethernet jacks...that picture is not of a DC system, which means I'd run away.

The RAM speed is wrong, too.

I think this guy would love to steal your money. :D

That looks identical to my dual-core PM. No antenna on mine that I've ever seen - though I do have 2 ethernet jacks.

Well I am fairly sure that Logic will be UB soon, if its not already, so it might be worthwhile to wait and see what comes out. You may be very disappointed buying now, and have something come out in a month that is much better.
Also new models will force down prices on existing Macs, which could save you some $$.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Something doesn't seem right about that sale... I'm thinking that its actually 1.8 SP or DP, and the RAM? 256 or 512MB. HDD either 80, 120, or poss. 160. Video card - 64MB or 128MB. I dunno, who would sell that good of a system for $650. Are you going to purchase it locally? I would I'd ask to see it, see it booted up, see About This Mac... etc.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Donz0r said:
No, The powermac will be upgraded to the Intel chipset within the next couple months. That's no rumor either, Senor Jobs himself said that all macs would be upgraded to Intel within 2006 and the PowerMac is the only one left to be upgraded...right?

Yes he is exactly right, and all those people who say "if you need it get it" are crazy (at least regarding the new Mac Pros). The new Mac Pros are right around the corner do yourself a favor and just wait man.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Josh said:
That looks identical to my dual-core PM. No antenna on mine that I've ever seen - though I do have 2 ethernet jacks.

If you do not have BT and AE - which this one may not, it won't be there. But yeah, two ethernet jacks ON TOP (which this one does not have) FW800 and FW400 next and 3 USB's on the bottom.

I just don't think the seller is for real. :)

oooh - proof is in the pudding:

now removed from CL... scam. When it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.