Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys,

I've got an old Airport Extreme and I'd like to update to one of the new ones with the hope I'm improving my signal speed and strength at home. Is now a good time to buy or could these be updated in a few months with WWDC around the corner?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hey guys,

I've got an old Airport Extreme and I'd like to update to one of the new ones with the hope I'm improving my signal speed and strength at home. Is now a good time to buy or could these be updated in a few months with WWDC around the corner?

There is always new technology around the corner. I have the 6th gen and it never drops under the 7.7.2 firmware (latest). In fact, I never had to reboot it! The speeds are better from the 5th gen even though I only have N clients. Give it a shot!

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Just helped a client set up a new Airport Extreme. Solid device and it did improve a few things for her. Replaced a 2nd gen extreme.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Even the second gen. Extreme was a powerful and reliable router for its time. Was the old one having issues?

Drop out issues for her setup, but the main thing was matching 2 new 802.11ac devices. The small footprint works better for the desk in a highly decorated room (I could care less, but "Decorators")

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.