Good time to buy an Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by toolarmy, Sep 22, 2012.

1. toolarmy macrumors newbie

I'd like to have Hulu Plus and AirPlay capabilities. I just want to make sure that a new ATV isn't expected and/or rumored to come out in the next few months.

I couldn't find the ATV on the Buyer's Guide.

Lastly, can the ATV work independently or does it have to be synced with a computer to work out of the box?

2. Jazper macrumors 6502a

There's a rumoured Apple TV set coming out, but I can't imagine that will be out anytime soon. You could buy a refurbished Apple TV as they are relatively cheap and you won't feel so annoyed if something new comes out

But as I said I doubt there will be an upgrade soon, not unless Apple can get some tv providers to allow them to stream tv anyway - which won't be happening any time soon!

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

All you need for an Apple TV is an iTunes account, which you can even make using the Apple TV itself.
    It's been awhile since the last Apple TV came out, but there hasn't been any major breakthroughs or indications that a new Apple TV might be in the works. (Such as a model identifier in software update)
    I think at this point we're about halfway through the current generation's update cycle.

4. farleysmaster macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping iOS 6.0 comes out soon, because I wouidn't want one unless it had a BBC iPlayer app (and maybe ITV and 4OD). I'm slightly tempted to get a mac-mini instead.

5. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I think you are better off waiting for the next Apple TV.

6. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Go for it. Not much changes between atv2 and atv3 so hard to expect more when the next one arrives. With the $99 price point, you can't go wrong.

7. JonesMatt macrumors newbie

Often there is no reason in waiting for the next version unless a major new feature has been announced. If you want to wait you can wait forever on the next new version. At these prices..just go for it! :)

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

If you have a laptop, I don't understand why people use ATV's?...just hook up your laptop:p

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Using a Laptop directly with your TV is not a very elegant solution, and harder to setup for most people. ATV is setup once and then it's ready to go. It's always got power, it's cables are out of the way, and you don't have to mess around with settings (audio settings, monitor settings, full screen set, etc) just to watch a video.