Good time to buy an Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SoupyFlow, Mar 5, 2013.

1. SoupyFlow macrumors member

I am looking to buy my first Apple TV sometime in the next few weeks. But I was wondering if now was an ok time to get one, or are they about to release a new version?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

There have been rumours of a slight refresh in the next few months, but nobody knows what it will be.

If you need it, get it - if not, wait :).

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

They just did a slight spec bump and already are being seen in the wild. However, Apple is still referring to the new AppleTV as the AppleTV3. Frankly, unless Apple adds an App Store to the AppleTV, there isn't much to be gained from an AppleTV4 that the AppleTV3 can't already do anyway.

4. whoiare macrumors regular

This. Its like saying "should i not buy something now because the next version will be better." Of course the next one will be better. But how much...well thats anyone's guess. I do concur that EVERY reason why you would buy an apple tv NOW is worth buying the apple tv NOW. It does everything perfectly. Which is: 1. Allow you to purchase from itunes store, 2. play all local itunes content(music, movies, tv shows, home videos, view pictures)3. watch third party programs(netflix, youtube, NHL,NBA,MLB, etc). IMO there doesnt need to be an apple tv 4. All the apple tv 3 needs is a new frontrow/XBMC like interface. Having to go to Computers, then to movies and then not being able to sort or search like XBMC does is the only thing keeping me from converting my whole library into itunes. XBMC has a higher WAF than the stock apple tv movie/tv show interface.

5. stavs macrumors newbie

It needs to be able to run Plex and Amazon Video and I'd be a happy camper.

6. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

They're $99...that's not a whole lot for everything you're getting. Heck, if a new one comes out in 6 months put the one you buy today on a Tv in a back bedroom and grab another. That's how I slowly built my stable of 3.