Good time to buy iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by poonnapat, Jul 10, 2009.

1. poonnapat macrumors newbie

I'm thinkinig to get an iMac about at the end of this month. Is it a good time? Is there a new iMac coming soon in 2010? I read somewhere that there's a new one coming out. Should I wait until next year?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just buy one. They are beautiful, wonderful machines. You will enjoy one. :)

3. shadow1 macrumors member

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well it has been rumored that they will give a bump and lower its prices.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There have been only one rumor... Last time there were dozens of rumors for over 6 months.

Arrandales are out in early 2010 so update is expected is first quarter of 2010

6. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Can you wait until next year?

7. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I personally would wait until the next update since it seems by the end of this year, early next year it's happening.

However, if you are in need of a machine now, they are great.

8. HazRutter macrumors regular

HazRutter

Pretty much exactly the same things as always..I was waiting for a new one for about 2 months, then I realized, the current ones are more than enough anyway.

Just buy one and stop waiting..they are awesome

9. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Buy it now. If you wait, the upgrade may not be quite to your liking and you will feel slightly shafted and either kick yourself for not buying sooner or want to wait even longer.

Today's iMac will suit you just fine.

10. NintendoFan macrumors regular

Always buy if you need it now. However, if there is an Apple event soon, it is always wise to see what turns out.

11. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

Buy it now and you'll enjoy it. I'm loving mine without regrets!

12. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

it is always a good time to purchase an iMac, I love my 2.8 Extreme, cannot wait until I replace it, with a new one (1 more year to go). The current line up of iMacs is awesome.

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you can wait until around February of next year, do it. If you need the iMac before then, just go ahead and buy it.

14. suekitch macrumors regular

I love my iMac. I think it's a great machine for a great price. I've got the 24" 'base model' with 4GB memory, 640GB hard drive etc. The only thing I could see really changing is the processor that I'd care about but to be honest, we're at a point where (at least for my usage) processors are that good that there's not been much speed bumpage in the past few years.

My old Windows desktop (nearly 3 years old I think) is a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo... my iMac is a 2.66. Yes, there's a new generation of chips out now/coming to Mac soon, but the jump isn't anywhere near as significant as such things used to be. :)

15. Buzz Bumble Guest

I know it's a bit late, but my Internet Provider was playing up even worse than usual and I could post a reply at the weekend.

Personally I'd probably wait for at least the release of Snow Leopard to save a (small) amount of money and pain installing the new OS ... of course by then it's September and you might then want to wait for the new iMacs towards the end of 2009 / early 2010. :)

16. eelpout macrumors regular

eelpout

If you get anything now, it would probably make you feel less remorse later when the inevitable new iMac comes out, if you went for the 3.06 w/4850.

The one thing I know that would tick me off is if they came out with a quad core iMac within 6 months of a purchase. Potentially we're getting close to that point now (using Feb 2010 as a new release date). I'm dithering myself and can't really decide between the Mac Pro quad 2.66 and the iMac 3.06. But the low end Mac Pro is soooo overpriced for what it is, it would be a hard nut to swallow.

I'll probably just wait a couple months for Snow Leopard at this point and see if any of the multi core technology in it actually amounts to anything.

17. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Wait until Apple offers a quad core CPU and Blu-Ray.

18. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Blu-Ray is going to be a while off. Quad-Core, either it's happening soon, or at least a year away.

19. ElPinko macrumors member

Do we honestly believe Quad cores are soon coming to the iMac? The reason I ask is that jump in power would hurt sales of the MacPro if apple didnt raise the price of the iMac to compensate?

Or do you just think the top range iMac will see quad cores?

I'm also waiting before buying my iMac, but I dont plan to wait beyond september, I was hoping for a refresh with the new OSX, but we're drawing near to that time now and the rumours seem to be fizzling out not picking up. Then again no one saw the macpro refresh coming in June...

20. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Just buy it now, and stop logging on to MR for 6 months.

21. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Hmm, if the top-end iMac was to get quad core, it would probably get the 2.66GHz quad core processor in the current Mac Pro, and the Mac Pro might get a higher clock speed so Mac Pro sales won't hurt. Might happen, but I doubt it. Arrandale will be in all iMacs by next year.

22. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I think the iMac case would melt should they try and put a Xeon Processor in it:rolleyes:

Mobile chips are used in the iMac, which means Clarksdale is the only current choice. I think on the high end it tops out at 1.73. Then there is that Turbo boost thing of 1 core which I heard tops out at 2.8.

I expect Apple to do a simple price reduction (as rumored) for Christmas, then do a real upgrade once Arrandale comes out.

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.66GHz Bloomfield is 130W so iMac would really smelt :D

Did you mean Clarksfield? They are too expensive. 2GHz is over 1000$

Arrandales are coming Q4 '09 so it's possible that we'll see an update before the end of this year

24. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

My guess is August/September, but will be a small update. Price drop with new (hopefully faster) graphics options. There isn't much more they can do at the moment with them. Also new iPods due out soon.

I think Apple generally releases new iPods and updated iMacs in August.

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Only faster GPU again? Apple already did that in March so they can't update only GPUs and use the same CPUs in three generations